Main Menu

John Deere engine ran backwards damage warning

Started by 73440, September 14, 2019, 09:40:16 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Yes, will pull the heads ,that will also allow to check guides, new heads complete are not much money and available, almost end of mowing season so good time to work on it.

Looks like exhaust valve seat has loosened out of the head.
Turned the engine by hand and no noises that would indicate anything was hitting the pushrod that is  laying at the bottom.
No luck reaching the lost pushrod.
Probably cheaper to buy new head.

Brads70

I have reinstalled the valve seat, then carefully spent some time peening the aluminum back around the seat. Engine is still running 10 years later. I gave that lawn tractor to a buddy and it's still going.
That being said I would never attempt that on a customers machine. 
How much is a new head? How does the top of the piston look?

Tapped the valve and the seat is reseated , will do the peening to complete the job.
Prices for the heads online are $150-175.
Probably $200 at JD dealership nearby.
I'll peen this one , may pull the other head and do the same.

Brads70

:clapping:  fishing that pushrod out is going to be interesting.  :fingerscrossed:

Haha, yeah, tried while the head was off no luck.
Will try with the other head off, maybe closer angle to it.

Then try again thru the oil drain hole where I saw it before.

I will say these rocker arms are very sturdy very heavy no wear on them ,187 hours .

Staked the valve seats , slipped with the punch a couple of times.UGH.
Been mowing for 1.6 hrs today , other than a couple of metal scraping noises it seems good.
Not sure how long will last , but maybe the pushrod is laying in an out of the way area.

Chryco Psycho

Should have ported & polished it while you were in there , might find 5 more HP LOL
I can't leave anyhting alone  :Thud:

mopartaz

You guys got me worried a bit.  I'm looking to buy a new mower and not sure who makes a good one anymore?  I want to get another stand up mower to replace the older one I have now.

What's the better / best brands in mowers?

Small push mower i'll assume? --Get a Honda  cant kill it.

@mopartaz , I have a Murray self propelled which has been very good, about 6 years old and runs well. Briggs & Stratton engine , easy height adjustment.

The JD has been a good tough mower, I pushed it hard thru 3 or 4 ' grass at times , just a bad design to have the oil drain hole with a straight path to the sump for a pushrod , needs a ledge to stop the pushrod.

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on April 05, 2020, 04:12:37 PM
Should have ported & polished it while you were in there , might find 5 more HP LOL
I can't leave anyhting alone  :Thud:

Yep, I thought about it , maybe dual carbs , it does need about 5HP more, if this one tanks I will put the 27 HP that B&S make in it