Main Menu

More Winter Fun

Started by blown motor, January 30, 2018, 11:42:11 AM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

Two weeks ago I had my car in Florida, this week I'm in Ottawa, Ontario. I'm here with my daughter and we just skated the Rideau Canal, the world's longest skating rink. It's 7.8km or 4.9 miles long. We did it both ways and had a Beavertail at each end.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Brads70

You retired guy have all the fun!  :clapping:

blown motor

I'm not retired yet Brad but after skating 10 miles I sure am tired!

Dakota

That looks like an absolute blast. 

One of my ice skates disappeared during a move a couple of years ago.   Hated to toss the other one, but no point in keeping it.   A canal skate would've been a great outing.

blown motor

It was really fun. They clean and flood it sometimes but I'm not sure how often. Here's a pic of the cleaning equipment.

blown motor

They also have stations with heated shelters for putting on your skates, heated washrooms and food booths.

Looks like a blast, cool to skate on a frozen canal.

Cudakiller70

Pretty cool. Yup Ottawa been there, but didn't do that. Ok I'll ask, what are beaver tails?

Cudakiller70

Ok I found it
The BeaverTails pastry is similar to several other fried dough pastries and is topped with a choice of sweet condiments and confections, such as whipped cream, banana slices, crumbled oreos, cinnamon sugar, and chocolate hazelnut. BeaverTails Canada Inc. through franchising currently operates 33 stores and 43 BeaverTails and Queues de Castor stands worldwide.[2]

Chryco Psycho

Been there done that too  :bigthumb:

RUNCHARGER

Looks like a sunny day for it. Outdoor skating is the best.
Sheldon

72 Challenger

That's my town!

Glad you enjoyed the Canal. I tend to go a couple times a year as it's such a Canadian thing to do!

What else did you do while you were in town? I'm always interested in what tourists do in a town I am so used to seeing every day.

Also for the rink maintenance it's flooded at night when the ice surface warrants it and the temperatures cooperate. They are currently getting it ready for Winterlude, Ottawa's largest festival and the Canal is always the focus. It was the longest skate way for years but someone has us beat.
Someday I will have a J0b.

Plumcrazy72

1972 340 PCP
2015 Dodge Journey Crossroad
2020 Ram Rebel

Brads70

Quote from: 73440 on January 31, 2018, 04:46:17 AM
Where is the Zamboni ?

That's Murray's nickname when he plays hockey!  :Stirring: :D