Main Menu

Fuel Vent System

Started by gzig5, April 29, 2018, 08:31:43 PM

Previous topic Next topic

gzig5

I'm missing the fuel tank vent charcoal canister on my 73 Cuda.  For reference it has a 340/727 with aftermarket intake and carb.  They don't seem to be reproduced and at this point I'm not inclined to invest in a used OEM one. I've found  bunch of old posts on the topic and the general consensus was to put a fuel filter on the end of the line up higher than the tank, either in the engine bay or in the back.  That's fine and I can do that but I was wondering if anyone has recently found a compatible substitute or another clever method other than venting to atmosphere?  I don't think I want to plug the line and try a vented gas cap as I've read of issues with that setup. 
The Goober that owned the car before me connected the windshield washer feed line to the manual pump in the cabin (washer tank also missing), onto the end of the hard vent line from the tank.  So the fumes went through the foot pump and then out the windshield washer nozzles.   :looney: I don't think I'm going to leave it like that.  :o
Jeez this thing is more of a cluster the deeper I get into it.

Routing gas fumes like that may be a first, he must have just seen a place where to connect a hose

Chryco Psycho

They used the same canister for many years in different vehicles , in 71 they connected the tank vent tot he valve cover breather & burned the fumes through the pcv system into the intake