Main Menu

Of course a Cat 5 storm is heading my way.... just because I moved.

Started by mopar thunder, September 06, 2017, 04:17:48 AM

Previous topic Next topic

cataclysm80

Quote from: 6bblgt on September 13, 2017, 05:48:32 PM
Quote from: anlauto on September 13, 2017, 09:41:27 AM
That's odd...for two reasons....
Why wouldn't Don support the new location....
Why would the show need to move from such an iconic location....

I understand needing more room, and if that's truly unavoidable, then Don should just host a "kick-off" party at his place Thursday/Friday before the show to make it a larger long weekend event, attracting more long distance people. :alan2cents:

my bet  :bigmoney:

I agree, it's pretty odd.
Don's house, garage, and two museums are right there on the property.  Don always participates a little in the event around the time that awards are handed out, and roams the grounds during the show, signs autographs in his garage, stuff like that.
Don's getting pretty old, and I've heard that his daughter is the person who's actually scheduling events and making arrangements.
The show has always been named Mopars with Big Daddy, though the regulars just call it the Garlits show.  At last years show, the Florida Mopar Association (who runs the event) announced that the show would be moving to a larger space, a horse ranch about a mile up the road, and that it would be held a week later than usual.
At some point (for unknown reasons), they decided to honor Herb McCandles at the show instead of Don, and the show is now named Mopars with Herb McCandles.
I haven't seen much advertising for the event, so I guess we'll see if anyone was paying attention and comes to the show.

Meanwhile, also with very little advertising, it seems like Don has thrown together a show at the last minute.  It's at the usual place at the usual time.  It's named Mopars and More.  Anyone's guess what "and More" means, but there always was a row of AMC vehicles at the event.  Could be anything though, Don holds a lot of different car events at his place.  I get the feeling that this show was created for the people who are bound to show up because they've been migrating to this same place at this same time for countless years.
Who knows, maybe Don will be at both shows.

Chryco Psycho

Chryco Psycho

cataclysm80

The only dragster Don raced that he didn't build himself, was built by a guy named Boogie Scott.
I had the pleasure of visiting Boogie's shop in Louisiana a couple times.  He is a real pleasure to visit with, and an inspiring fabricator/racer.  He does restorations on pre-muscle car era vehicles, and like to race on the salt flats.
One of the main stories I remember from him was that he was having trouble getting his car to go over 200 MPH because at that point the wind resistance would cause him to lose traction.  He went around to all the local tire shops and bought all their wheel weights.  Then he melted them all together and put them in the nose of the car to keep the front tires planted against the wind.  After that, he could pass 200 MPH without difficulty.

EB3-GranCoupe

Roadman

:rebelflag"        And now Maria is heading this way. To early to tell thou. 

Roadman

Praying she turns north.     :rebelflag"     Maria. 

Chryco Psycho

Jose , Lee & Maria all building , maybe I will never get back to Panama

dodj

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on September 17, 2017, 07:24:01 PM
Jose , Lee & Maria all building , maybe I will never get back to Panama
They never hit Panama. Where are you, that would prevent you from getting to Panama?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Chryco Psycho

Phoenix , I was sup[posed to fly back last Wed through Miami but the flight cancelled & they rebooked me a week later

Roadman

Maria just slammed Puerto Rico.  They have no power anywhere on the island, 4 to 6 months before it will be restored.    :bricks: :rebelflag"

Chryco Psycho

Yikes ,one of our members moved there about 7 years back
Praying he , his wife  & his cars are OK