Main Menu

Price Increases = !@#$%^

Started by anlauto, November 11, 2022, 05:00:43 AM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

So I buy a lot of parts.....if you watch prices, you would know things are getting insane....but when you add the exchange on the dollar USD-CDN and you add the ever-increasing cost of shipping...it's getting ABSOLUTLY INSANE :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair:

In January 2022....I bought a set of PolyGlas tires, E's & G's for an AAR Cuda... when it was all said and done, my cost to customer was $2763.98 CDN.....So just now... November 2022 I bought the exact same tires, from the exact same place, and guess what...Total cost is now $3986.84 :o

That's a whopping 44% increase... :Thud:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

cuda hunter

That's ridiculous.   Get ready for more.   It's only going up.  Any oil product will continue to rise until our continents start raising our own oil again. 

Shipping is ridiculous, no matter what it is. 
The prices of home building products are on the rise again. 

Now that the midterms have happened, the prices will steadily rise again for 2 years.  mark those words. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

cuda hunter

I have noticed in the last month that car prices are softening up, not so much on big ticket high dollar cars.  But all the regular stuff is softening.  Seems parts are lightening up as well.  As people are hit with the inflation they seem to be selling parts for a little less.  That's all personal sales, not business's sales.  Business's sale prices have only risen. 

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

torredcuda

Placed an order for sheet metal online and got a call from the company - two parts on back order, price on quarters went up along with shipping costs so cost around $275 more than expected.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

captcolour

Quote from: anlauto on November 11, 2022, 05:00:43 AM
So I buy a lot of parts.....if you watch prices, you would know things are getting insane....but when you add the exchange on the dollar USD-CDN and you add the ever-increasing cost of shipping...it's getting ABSOLUTLY INSANE :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair:

In January 2022....I bought a set of PolyGlas tires, E's & G's for an AAR Cuda... when it was all said and done, my cost to customer was $2763.98 CDN.....So just now... November 2022 I bought the exact same tires, from the exact same place, and guess what...Total cost is now $3986.84 :o

That's a whopping 44% increase... :Thud:

I hope you at least get them.  I ordered a set from Speedway Motors about a year ago and am still waiting.

JH27N0B

I bought a set of the Goodyear Polyglas FR70-14 tires for my convertible a few months after the pandemic hit in 2020 and think I paid around $1300 to my door.
A guy on another forum posted the other day trying to decide what repro 70s to put on a recently acquired Charger and the link he posted for the FR70-14s showed them at around $460 each now, probably sales tax added on top of that.  So that is close to a 50% increase over 2 years.
My employer temporarily cut pay 15% then, my stocks had crashed, my sideline work grounded, I owed the IRS a bunch in April, and didn't qualify for the stimulus handouts the gubment was stupidly doling out to almost everyone, so was feeling some hurt and not eager to make a big purchase at that time, but decided to suck it up and buy the tires I'd planned for a awhile to get that spring anyway. I am quite glad I made that decision as it was tempting to put it off until "sunnier days".
But 44% in one year is pretty ridiculous.  Elections have their consequences both in the US and Canada, but I don't think most voters seem to be able to connect the dots?
Recently I've seen people posting want ads seeking repro F60s so I thought these tires might be backordered, are the Polyglas repros at least available for immediate delivery now?
With all these price increases the already high cost of restoring a car must be close to astronomical now.  Add to that backordered product issues along with labor shortages and it must be harder and harder for restoration shops to keep their operations going.

anlauto

Quote from: JH27N0B on November 11, 2022, 07:05:10 AM
....are the Polyglas repros at least available for immediate delivery now?

Big NO on that one....they are back ordered like everything else....However I did have to pay for them up front of course :looney:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

anlauto

....But 44% in one year is pretty ridiculous. 

I should mention that 10% of that is exchange of our Canadian dollar which has tanked against your USD....  :takemymoney:

JH27N0B

Everything seems to be tanking.  :Thud:

JH27N0B

I'm the type that tends to stock up when I see a good price on something, so I'm kicking myself right now.
NAPA has a sale on VR1 every April it seems and in 2021 it was $4.99 a quart.  I went through a hassle with them then trying to get some VR1, initially ordering a case that was to be delivered to a nearby store, then having the store call me a week later and say they can't get it from their distribution center.  Then I went to some other NAPA stores and I was able to get my 6 quarts though had to go to 3! not sure why the first store said they couldn't get it.  Well this April they have their sale again, and it's up to $5.99.  OK, still not bad and I went in and the store had it in stock, so I bought another case.
In recent weeks I changed the oil in my convertible and my Magnum in preparation for winter, and noticed afterwards I only had one quart of 10W 30 VR1 left in my cabinet.  I looked at NAPA's website and they are listing it for over $11 a quart!
I checked Amazon and found someone listing a case for $48 last weekend, so ordered one.  With tax $54. That's about $8 a quart and tax. At least I have some on the shelf now.
Why did I only buy one case last spring at $5.99 a quart??  I should have bought 5 or 6 cases and built up an inventory when the price was still reasonable!
Next year I may well be kicking myself for not buying 5 or 6 cases when it was "only" $8 a quart.  :headbang:

70_440-6Cuda

Don't forget there is a Diesel shortage and it is expected to get worse, which means the price will go up, which means transport costs go up, which means EVERYTHING goes up.  The shipping giant Maers's stock dropped 35% this year yet they had record profits due to freight rate increases.  That being said, they are reporting freight volumes are way down, indicating consumers are buying less.  I have been buying anything I can find if it is in stock because I think it is going to get worse before it gets better.  Generally though it is a good time to buy on the used market.

The good news is with interest rates soaring, you cant barrow money and your house is going to plummet in value so that helps :deadhorse:
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

RUNCHARGER

I think what we're going too see in a year or two is sales of "optional" goods slowing up as people can't afford extras after buying what they need just to live. So that could mean slow sales of fun stuff which could lead to the dropping of manufacturing of repro items and the downfall of a lot of small businesses. So it might be a good idea to stock up on that repro sheetmetal you might need for example.
I can't see it being viable to restore a car in Canada right now. You don't mind being a little upside down on a resto but it just doesn't make any sense whatsoever to restore one today, why would any sane person spend 50% more on something than what it's worth? I see it too, paint shops that will do other than insurance work are fading, engine shops are fading, parts retailers are fading, project cars are sitting for sale and not selling too.
Sheldon

MKA

Quote from: anlauto on November 11, 2022, 07:27:13 AM

I should mention that 10% of that is exchange of our Canadian dollar which has tanked against your USD....  :takemymoney:

Wait, this means Vancouver and Whistler Mountain are on sale  :banana: :canada:  Last time I was there was 2002 seem to recall a favorable exchange rate then too.  Might be time for a March trip. :takemymoney:

dodj

Quote from: MKA on November 11, 2022, 08:43:37 AM
Quote from: anlauto on November 11, 2022, 07:27:13 AM

Wait, this means Vancouver and Whistler Mountain are on sale  :banana: :canada:  Last time I was there was 2002 seem to recall a favorable exchange rate then too.  Might be time for a March trip. :takemymoney:

"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

anlauto

Nice little bonus for just crossing a border eh ? :headbang: