Main Menu

Is Cruising alone in Bad Taste during this Pandemic?

Started by Topcat, March 29, 2020, 05:28:39 PM

Previous topic Next topic

If you're the only person in your E Body driving; is this in bad taste during this Pandemic?

Going out alone during this Pandemic is in really bad taste. No Way!
3 (7.1%)
I would, but I would make it just a quick cruise not lasting very long.
8 (19%)
The heck with it, I'm going out and making it a great day out there alone.
30 (71.4%)
I'm worried what all my neighbors would think of me seeing me go out.
0 (0%)
The Cops might pull me over so I'm not going out.
3 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Voting closed: June 27, 2020, 05:28:39 PM

Sleepychallenger

Here in Florida we aren't quite to that lock down phase. I went to breakfast at Sonic with a couple other cars, stood there and chatted (socially distanced of course) until the manager said that we couldn't do that. I've been taking mine out as much as I can. Less traffic means more fun right.

7212Mopar

I went out of the house three times last week. Twice for grocery and once work related. On the work trip, I got a cop follow me for a mile on my daily driver, four doors Accord. I did full stop at every stop sign so he did not pull me over. I bet it would be different if I was driving my 73. I think they have less to do now. You are not suppose to do non essential travels per the stay at home order.

To help my sanity, I waxed the car multiple times, started it and let it idle to temperature once a week in the garage just to hear some rumble. If weather is good, I am thinking to take it out to get some cheap gas.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

jimynick

I'd love to go for a drive, but I'd have to put the front end, doors and deck lid back on my old gal, not to mention the glass and tailights!  8)
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

JS29

Have to get more rain to wash the salt off the roads. So my barracuda is in quarantine until then! Same for my pick-up. I can't see a wrecker getting pulled over, So i don't worry about driving that.  :alan2cents:

Wedg2Go

Considering the circumstances, I will still go out for a quickie. In my book, it's really a bad idea to leave any piece of machinery parked for long periods of time. Seals dry up, tires get flat spots, that "Oil Change" you did a year ago is due - again, anti-freeze has a whole 20 miles on it, diamonds begin to appear on spark plug tips and your left leg and right arm goes 'Flabby'.

The way I figure it, if Five-0, really wants to pull me over for doing a little "Test Run" let 'em. My explanation should be adequate, knowing that I am avoiding the crowds and only out for a stretch.

Of course, the officer and I ""Will"" be observing "Social Distancing" as well (Like two Betas in a bowl).

JS29

js27

I was on vacation all last week ( Vacation cancels) turn into a Staycation. Did some work on my new 67 Satellite. Sunday was a 85 degree sunny day and we took the car out put the top down and took a nice long drive on a country road. Love every second of it.
JS27

Spikedog08

I have heard in my area that people are getting tickets for going out.  Most need to prove that they have a job that they need to get to . . . I figure just tell them you are on your way to the grocery store or to get a prescription  . . in my area it is $500 ticket.  New law here in Michigan is getting caught with your cell phone in your hand . . . that is now against the law.   

Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

gzig5

I blew down to Valparaiso, Indiana Saturday morning to pickup an A833 that came out of a 70 E-body.  The seller and I never got within eight feet of each other and I was alone for the drive, so where is the harm.  I think as long as common sense is used there isn't a problem with limited interaction.  I get closer to the cashiers at the grocery store and definitely other shoppers, so being alone in the car seems safer than even being at home with other family members.

I-294 was pretty empty. 

Police pulling people over to see where they are going are just creating unneeded interactions and putting themselves at risk.  If they aren't responding to assault and robbery calls in the city, wth are the pulling people over that aren't breaking real laws?

tparker

cruise a way. Why not? There isn't any reason to stay locked in your house. You are not infecting others or getting infected by driving around. It's good for your mentally which can reduce stress and anxiety.

Mr Lee

I wish my car were done, cause I'm not working for awhile....  I would totally be out driving around.  With less traffic on the roads now it'd be the perfect time for cruising. 

I guess it depends on the cop.  $500 fine??  Whoa.  Maybe not.

Maybe put a bag of groceries in the front seat and always be heading towards a friends house.  If you get pulled over, say you're taking some food to a friend / family member who is older or has a diminished immune system.  How can they argue with that?
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

cuda hunter

I heard 1K here in Colorado.

I'm a construction worker so I can just say I'm heading to or from work and there will be no more questions asked.
However I got pulled over 3 days ago, got a ticket ( I definitely was in the wrong) and the cop didn't ask any of those questions.
And he gave me his clip board to write on and tried to give me his pen.  I tried to not take his clip board but he insisted.
He took my ID , registration and insurance with no issue or gloves. 
  They aren't practicing social distancing.  They still get close enough to take a whif and see if you have been drinking or smoking.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

bentpshrods

I don't see anything wrong with it.  Took the cuda out for a little 110 mile jaunt out in the country. Drove down to Swan falls dam on the snake river here. There were a lot of folks spread out at the picnic tables and just out site seeing.  Passed a state trooper in the park also and he didn't seem to concerned over the folks being out.  I drive a concrete truck and apparently delivering concrete is an essential job here so I have to be out in public every day. A whole lot less risky being by myself out in the car. 

gzig5

Just declare it a mental health emergency intervention.   :burnout: They've been claiming for weeks that everyone's health is the #1 priority.  How can they ticket you?