Main Menu

Scam alert!

Started by blown motor, February 17, 2023, 03:56:53 AM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

The following are all related to the same scammer. Ayins, Gamar Rangel, gamarrangel28@gmail.com bethgartrell0416@gmail.com, 919 289-9080. I was too trusting.  :Thud:
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

BIGSHCLUNK

What's going on Murray?  :notsure:

JH27N0B

There's been posts blowing up the car forums lately about scams involving "parts wanted" ads.
Someone responds to your ad saying "my friend has that part you want, contact him at "sketchy@gmail.com".
You email them, they send you pictures they pulled off the web, you PayPal them money, you get ripped off.
If someone emails you their friend has a part you need, put them on ignore!  :alan2cents:
Not sure if that's what happened here, but I've been reading posts on this scam often lately.

VCODE

Quote from: JH27N0B on February 17, 2023, 07:18:39 AM
There's been posts blowing up the car forums lately about scams involving "parts wanted" ads.
Someone responds to your ad saying "my friend has that part you want, contact him at "sketchy@gmail.com".
You email them, they send you pictures they pulled off the web, you PayPal them money, you get ripped off.
If someone emails you their friend has a part you need, put them on ignore!  :alan2cents:
Not sure if that's what happened here, but I've been reading posts on this scam often lately.

I have gotten the same emails for parts wanted. I just delete them.

blown motor

Quote from: JH27N0B on February 17, 2023, 07:18:39 AM

That's pretty much how it went down. Took me for $80. @BIGSHCLUNK  It was for the belts I told you about.

anlauto

At least you won't be on the 6 o'clock news....you hear of people getting scammed out of tens of thousands of dollars almost daily now :drunk:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

blown motor

Another guy tried too. Similar format but texting from 773 998-2587. Dropped his price twice in an hour and half when I wouldn't commit and very pushy. Wanted my address so he could ship it right away.

72 Challenger

Quote from: blown motor on February 17, 2023, 08:13:28 AM
Another guy tried to. Similar format but texting from 773 998-2587. Dropped his price twice in an hour and half when I wouldn't commit and very pushy. Wanted my address so he could ship it right away.

It's terrible but once you fall for it once, they will increase the amount scammers contact you.
Someday I will have a J0b.

Spikedog08

If you get anything like this here . . please send me a note and I will send them packing!  Hard to trust anyone these days!   :thumbdown:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Jay Bee

I had fun with one of those on my Toyota forum. I kept leading him on & on until he gave up. Until he did I was going to ask him to hold the part in one hand and today's paper in the other, then send me a picture of you doing that.

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

71GranCoupe

This post reminded me of the Challenger for sale on ebay a week or two ago. I had posted that the seller offered me the car for $7500. I didn't even think about taking the bait. I just checked and the seller has been kicked off ebay. Hopefully the guy didn't get scammed. This is a reminder to deal with known sellers/friends!

https://forum.e-bodies.org/e-body-stuff-found-on-ebay-craigslist-or-anywhere-else/20/my-old-70-challenger-made-its-way-onto-ebay/27294/

blown motor

@Spikedog08  Thanks for all the work you do for this site. This happened on another forum, not here. I was just giving a heads up.

Spikedog08

Quote from: blown motor on February 17, 2023, 10:13:18 AM
@Spikedog08  Thanks for all the work you do for this site. This happened on another forum, not here. I was just giving a heads up.

I review about 20-30 new registrations per day . . once in awhile I will log in and there are 80 - 100 in one day?  don't know why the jump but I go through them.  I feel that I do a pretty good job weeding through them but once in a while, one will get through.  Most are easy, I can just look at the email address and know they are not good.  Some I have to search the IP address to see their history.  Then of course, if their user name has anything to do with MOPAR, pretty good bet they are safe. 

Now the facebook page is another story . . 2 days ago I went through over 1000.  That page gets 50 - 100 requests a day easy.  There are 4 or 5 mods on the page but sometime I feel it is just me doing it.  In the winter I do have some extra time, in the summer, there is so much to do sometimes it gets away from me.   

FYI  . . I do this to help out, there is no money in it . . . sometimes can be a pain in the A$$. 
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

torredcuda

Facebook is loaded with scammers, they respond to a parts wanted post with "PM me" or send you to some "Used parts for Cars" page - all fake to scam people. If you don`t know the person or can`t verify them thru someone you know only pay with PayPal goods and services!
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/