Main Menu

Shipping question

Started by blown motor, February 18, 2021, 10:14:30 AM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

I have to ship a piece of trim to a guy in Texas that's 54" long. What's the best way to ship it? I can't find single tubes that long, would have to buy a case of 50. I wondered about using electrical conduit, haven't checked on the cost of that yet.  :help:
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

js27

PVC  will work fine-You can cut it to the length you need and it is fairly cheap at Home Depot or Lowes.  It is much stronger than any cardboard.
JS27

CNUMB

If you have any plumber friends ask them for a piece of pvc.. hard cap the ends and tape. If you can wrap a piece of bubble wrap around will help from moving within the tube..

7E-Bodies

I had a guy ship me an amazing set of body side moldings from California to Illinois in a Home Depot 4" PVC pipe with a threaded cap fitting on one end and a cap at the other. Arrived perfectly. I saved it for future use of similar items.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

anlauto

Expect it to cost close to $100 to ship it, maybe more.. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Floyd

FedEx carries a good selection of boxes that aren't too crazy expensive. 

https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/packing/supplies/boxes.html

The "Two-piece telescoping box" (10" x 6" x 57" to 108") might work for $10.

blown motor

Quote from: anlauto on February 18, 2021, 02:35:06 PM
Expect it to cost close to $100 to ship it, maybe more.. :alan2cents:

It won't be near that much Alan. It'll only weigh a few pounds. I could ship 4 shocks to the US for $51.

Quote from: Floyd on February 18, 2021, 03:18:33 PM
FedEx carries a good selection of boxes that aren't too crazy expensive. 

https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/packing/supplies/boxes.html

The "Two-piece telescoping box" (10" x 6" x 57" to 108") might work for $10.

Thanks Floyd, I'll check it out.

Brads70

Quote from: js27 on February 18, 2021, 11:14:52 AM
PVC  will work fine-You can cut it to the length you need and it is fairly cheap at Home Depot or Lowes.  It is much stronger than any cardboard.
JS27

Good idea, I never thought of that. First thing I thought of was going to a carpet place to get one of those cardboard tubes  in the center of a roll.

jimynick

Quote from: Brads70 on February 18, 2021, 04:32:27 PM
JS27

Good idea, I never thought of that. First thing I thought of was going to a carpet place to get one of those cardboard tubes  in the center of a roll.
Don't take the wife when you go Brad, or you'll have new broadloom before much else! LOL  ;)
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Brads70

Quote from: jimynick on February 18, 2021, 06:41:09 PM
Quote from: Brads70 on February 18, 2021, 04:32:27 PM
JS27

Don't take the wife when you go Brad, or you'll have new broadloom before much else! LOL  ;)

:thinking:  makes one wonder why they call it broadloom?  :pokeeye:

Jay Bee

Murray, just an FYI. If you're shipping with Canada Post anything over 100cm (~39.5 inches) is subject to a $15.00CAD "Oversize Fee". I played with the CPC calculator using 100cm x 5cm x 5cm @ .5kg, then 101cm. Just for comparison: 1 meter & under = $22.04CAD, 101cm & over = $39.42CAD of course plus tax. Personally, I'd check on the situation in Texas before shipping there.

blown motor

Thanks JayBee. I haven't gotten that far into it.