Main Menu

1974 Med/duty truck

Started by cordodge, April 14, 2018, 04:43:23 AM

Previous topic Next topic

cordodge

Got a line a 74 dodge medium duty truck, Good shape and very cheap. Just not sure what to do with it. It for sure isn't quite as cool as the L-700 I sold but think something could be done with it. I am kinda thinking cummins drive chain with maybe a step side box on the back?  :dunno:

blown motor

Quote from: cordodge on April 14, 2018, 04:43:23 AM
Got a line a 74 dodge medium duty truck, Good shape and very cheap. Just not sure what to do with it. It for sure isn't quite as cool as the L-700 I sold but think something could be done with it. I am kinda thinking cummins drive chain with maybe a step side box on the back?  :dunno:

And silver paint of course.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

anlauto

Extend the frame.....old school ramp truck.... :bigthumb:.......silver....
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

cordodge

Would love to build an old school ramp truck for sure only issue would be the car would be exposed. Had a chunk of a semi trailer tire fly pass the car couple weeks ago when I took it to London car show on an open trailer. It was very close and would have damaged the paint big time. But maybe I could fabricate an enclosed ramp truck?. Maybe lower it to flatten out the ramp angle?.I looked at enclosed trailers here and they are $15 grand for a half decent one so just thinking that money could go towards this project. I guess ill have to do some research on aluminum sheeting and tube framework.

Sound doable? just running ideas through my head.

RUNCHARGER

Those are cool trucks, a Cummins would work well in one. When I was in the storage business I would sell old pup trailers for around $2k. You might be able to adapt the roof, sides and roll up door to build an enclosed hauler.
Sheldon

cordodge

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on April 14, 2018, 08:36:00 AM
Those are cool trucks, a Cummins would work well in one. When I was in the storage business I would sell old pup trailers for around $2k. You might be able to adapt the roof, sides and roll up door to build an enclosed hauler.

That's a great idea, Even if I have the framework and replaced the skin or whatever.

Thanks for the ideas, keep them coming.

Bruce

RUNCHARGER

A faster way home might be to buy a running, more modern roll back truck or even a C+C and bolt the Dodge body on it. That way you have modern brakes (don't have to hunt for obsolete parts), Steering, Diff, front axle etc.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on April 14, 2018, 09:13:55 AM
A faster way home might be to buy a running, more modern roll back truck or even a C+C and bolt the Dodge body on it. That way you have modern brakes (don't have to hunt for obsolete parts), Steering, Diff, front axle etc.

Here ya go... Cummins Powered...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-Chevrolet-3500HD-Rollback-12-Valve-Cummins-Power/112927135789?hash=item1a4afb582d:g:kfEAAOSwBkFay5wr&vxp=mtr

Or this might be a better option...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-DODGE-RAM-SLT-5500-FLATBED-ROLLBACK/132581395864?hash=item1ede778d98:g:UngAAOSwNlla0TZ3&vxp=mtr

cordodge

Great ideas for sure. Guess ill just have to start looking around my area