Main Menu

Specific E-body Convertible Group

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, April 18, 2020, 08:17:41 AM

Previous topic Next topic

70vert

The link will not work for me, maybe it is just a security thing. I am a member on FB of a convertible group:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/518462179030164
It is run by Eric Conrad and has about 1,000 members (Ola Nillson is a member). The key for me is it is a Private group so access is restricted and ONLY members can post. Plus when I post to the site it does not hit my FB Wall/Feed for all to see pop-up (so private).

EDIT: I just noticed that this is a very old post, and most of my comments have already been said but decided to leave it.

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on April 18, 2020, 08:17:41 AM
Not trying to ruffle feathers so delete if inappropriate. Some of us with e body verts thought it would be fun to have a specific Facebook group relating to these cars. I like the other Facebook group as much as this forum but convertible posts get buried fast under the heavy volume of everything else.

We started a discussion about the need and whether such a group already existed and it was quickly deleted so apparently that's a no-no. Not finding a specific e body vert group, I made this one but if there's already one out there, please advise.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/222077699116416/?ref=share

The idea is it would be open to all enthusiasts, e body verts of all types and conditions, and also a place to buy/sell vert specific parts. It would not see a heavy volume of daily posts but that's also part of the appealing my opinion. If the shared link doesn't work, search groups for "E-body Convertibles"

Mr Cuda

I found the page for the Facebook group.  It's private.
Not on Facebook, nor will I ever be a member.
As far as starting a group here,  I would be the reason for it's failure.
I don't have all the answers,  or access to anything that is not already online.
Plus,  I'd be working from a phone,  not a desktop.

scf100

First I've heard about it just joined.
Thanks
1970 Challenger R/T convertible Triple Black

70vert

I enjoy FB in a social media function, it is great for seeing & sharing pics as well as some historical info, and maybe activities. I would always come to this .org for info/questions about E-Bodies and would hate to see a "splintered" scenario where you'd have to check multiple locations for info & input. I love that I can read & learn info about e-bodies that I never new, and maybe don't even need to know (what can I say I'm retired & bored).

I get it that not everyone will be on FB, no problem. But if you really want to be invisible online I'm not sure even this sight is immune, or eBay, or CraigsList, or any online storefront, etc. We do the best we can for privacy and security, even on FB.

70 Challenger Lover

I see it as two totally separate things and they usually have two totally separate users. A lot of people on social media have no clue about forums nor any desire to be a part of one. As such, I've been able to score great stuff including a 71 Barracuda that was advertised only on a Mopar FB group. I've met several local Mopar guys from the groups as well and now call a couple of them friends. And of course many of the forum guys will never go near FB and I get it. I've noticed sellers on FB groups usually want top dollar while forum guys just want to help out other car guys which is great.

Another thing I've noticed is that in the forums, it's the same ten people dominating the discussions. Not that any of the information is bad but it's nice to have a broader sampling of opinions sometimes. The flip side of that though is sifting through the FB clowns making negative comments.

anlauto

I don't understand how people find the time for multiple platforms....I guess it's because I don't have a cell phone... :no:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

erik70rt

Quote from: 70vert on May 07, 2022, 07:19:53 AM
The link will not work for me, maybe it is just a security thing. I am a member on FB of a convertible group:
It is run by Eric Conrad and has about 1,000 members (Ola Nillson is a member). The key for me is it is a Private group so access is restricted and ONLY members can post. Plus when I post to the site it does not hit my FB Wall/Feed for all to see pop-up (so private).

EDIT: I just noticed that this is a very old post, and most of my comments have already been said but decided to leave it.

Not trying to ruffle feathers so delete if inappropriate. Some of us with e body verts thought it would be fun to have a specific Facebook group relating to these cars. I like the other Facebook group as much as this forum but convertible posts get buried fast under the heavy volume of everything else.

We started a discussion about the need and whether such a group already existed and it was quickly deleted so apparently that's a no-no. Not finding a specific e body vert group, I made this one but if there's already one out there, please advise.

The idea is it would be open to all enthusiasts, e body verts of all types and conditions, and also a place to buy/sell vert specific parts. It would not see a heavy volume of daily posts but that's also part of the appealing my opinion. If the shared link doesn't work, search groups for "E-body Convertibles"

Yes, I run it and have a couple of other members here as moderators.  We did break 1000 members!!!   It will also stay private and we work very hard to vet who we let join as there are a lot of scammers out there and others who join groups just to spread their own personal political/religious agendas.  I do not permit that on the facebook page. 

If you tried to join and were declined, send me a PM!  If you haven't joined yet, come on over and join!  There's lots of good convertible knowledge there, cars/parts for sale & wanted, and lots of great pics!

Thanks!
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

70 Challenger Lover

As Erik said, there's a lot of energy spent on vetting and also on ensuring the content stays on point. That's not the case on many other groups. But there are a thousand groups so you leave the ones you don't like and stay in the ones you do. I belong to about 12 car groups. If one group starts to decline in some way, I simply leave. The convertible group is by far the best run in my opinion. I never see any negativity because it's simply not tolerated.

Alan, it's not really time intensive as you come and go as you please. The newest and most popular content stays at the top so you can scan through it periodically and you're certainly not required to scroll through it all. My morning routine is to drink my coffee and peruse the group content each morning. I find it relaxing and enjoyable to see brief snapshots of people's beautiful cars. Most of the time, it's just sharing but some groups specialize in selling which can be great if you're into parts or projects. Those selling groups are the ones that get the most junk though. Guys selling minivans and other crap. If I can't find something I need on the forum, good chance I'll get it in a group once I put out a wanted post.

I do get why people want to protect their privacy by not using FB. Those f'ers are terrible about scraping data from users. I can do a google search on hunting supplies and suddenly get tons of advertising posts sprinkled throughout the feed relating to hunting. It's pretty focused and while I could simply scroll past the ads, I have to admit a few have caught my attention. Even the forums use advertising to pay the bills but FB is more focused on showing you stuff you might actually be interested in which is good if not a little scary. Fortunately, I don't put my life on FB and I don't google search weird stuff.

fc7cuda

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on May 09, 2022, 06:21:09 AM
As Erik said, there's a lot of energy spent on vetting and also on ensuring the content stays on point. That's not the case on many other groups. But there are a thousand groups so you leave the ones you don't like and stay in the ones you do. I belong to about 12 car groups. If one group starts to decline in some way, I simply leave. The convertible group is by far the best run in my opinion. I never see any negativity because it's simply not tolerated.

Alan, it's not really time intensive as you come and go as you please. The newest and most popular content stays at the top so you can scan through it periodically and you're certainly not required to scroll through it all. My morning routine is to drink my coffee and peruse the group content each morning. I find it relaxing and enjoyable to see brief snapshots of people's beautiful cars. Most of the time, it's just sharing but some groups specialize in selling which can be great if you're into parts or projects. Those selling groups are the ones that get the most junk though. Guys selling minivans and other crap. If I can't find something I need on the forum, good chance I'll get it in a group once I put out a wanted post.

I do get why people want to protect their privacy by not using FB. Those f'ers are terrible about scraping data from users. I can do a google search on hunting supplies and suddenly get tons of advertising posts sprinkled throughout the feed relating to hunting. It's pretty focused and while I could simply scroll past the ads, I have to admit a few have caught my attention. Even the forums use advertising to pay the bills but FB is more focused on showing you stuff you might actually be interested in which is good if not a little scary. Fortunately, I don't put my life on FB and I don't google search weird stuff.

:iagree:

Cuda_mark

Quote from: erik70rt on May 09, 2022, 05:24:34 AM
Quote from: 70vert on May 07, 2022, 07:19:53 AM

Yes, I run it and have a couple of other members here as moderators.  We did break 1000 members!!!   It will also stay private and we work very hard to vet who we let join as there are a lot of scammers out there and others who join groups just to spread their own personal political/religious agendas.  I do not permit that on the facebook page. 

If you tried to join and were declined, send me a PM!  If you haven't joined yet, come on over and join!  There's lots of good convertible knowledge there, cars/parts for sale & wanted, and lots of great pics!

Thanks!

I just requested to join.

RzeroB

Quote from: Mr Cuda on May 06, 2022, 08:12:46 PM
Whatever happened to starting  a  convertible group.   Not on Facebook,  haven't looked on Facebook for a convertible group.  Link on page one goes nowhere.
  I have emailed Ola for a bit of info,  but it would be interesting to have something like the A66 thread to check out.

I would think that wouldn't be too hard to do. All you have to do is get ahold of one of the admins. I haven't felt Cody's "presence" here as much as in the past (I'm sure he's busy with Enzo being an awesome dad). You would have to send something specific directly to admin to get their attention and get it added. I'll tag the two admins that I know of and we'll see what happens ... @Cuda Cody  @Spikedog08
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)