Main Menu

Storage issue

Started by blown motor, December 07, 2018, 06:16:26 PM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

I store my cars in a 48 x 96 farm implement shed with a 14' ceiling. This is a non-insulated open truss building with big loose fitting sliding doors. The weather here had been cold but last Sunday it shot up to a little over 50*. Everything steel in the shed started sweating. The cars were covered and when I pulled the covers back the windows were sweated up. I opened the hood on my 74 and the engine block was sweating, the carb was sweating, the coil was sweating, everything was sweating!  :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: When it turns cold again everything dries off. How can I prevent this?
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

YellowThumper

I saw a similar "sweating" post on another forum (non mopar) and someone stated they will just run a lit 40w bulb in it for long durations as necessary.
Sounded intriguing at least.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

71-440

Basically you have your cars in cold storage. Warm temps causes condensation. Same thing if you opened your fridge door and left it open a while everything would start to "sweat".

Don't know how you would fix it being the building isn't insulated or sealed at the doors.  :alan2cents:
Joe

Brads70

I think ventilation will help, you need to try and keep the inside temps the same as outside other wise it sweats . I keep the Javelin in one of those tent garages , when it warms up or is sunny I leave the door open otherwise it sweats too. 

Rich G.

But it in a Car Jacket. Just zip it in and it will look the same way as you put it in and don't have to worry about mice, dust .

7212Mopar

Inside of the garage and your car must had been colder than the outside. Is the garage under some shade? Condensation occurs when object surface temperatre is  below the dewpoint temperature of the air surrounding it. You need to provide heating in the garage.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

A.Gramz

Need to vent the building better.  When I get sea containers for storage I have to put in venting to stop the rain effect as I call it.   

blown motor

The building is not in need of ventilation. I can leave the 14'x16' door in front of the cars open and this will still happen in the right conditions. I'm trying to figure out how to minimize the effect. Should I pull the covers off, open the hood and crack the windows a bit?

anlauto

You should go and buy another house with a nicer garage :)
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

kdcarman

I have stored cars in unheated garages in the past.  After pulling my car out of unheated storage one year in the sporing and having "sweat" all over the car, I spent money on the capsule and bubble.

I have used the car jacket mentioned above.

I have also used the car capsule:
http://carcapsule.com/
I really liked the car capsule - it seemed more reliable to keep the car drive.  Basically the air is getting circulated a few times in the capsule.  Requires electricity though.

The car jacket does not require electricity, but requires you place their "OmniDry desiccant" pouches in the bag before sealing.
https://www.carbag.com/carjacket/

The jacket does not seem as reliable to me, to keep moisture out.

Rich G.

Yes the car capsule is the best way to go.They even make one that you can drive in and out of!  I assume the farm shed had no electricity or you were looking for something inexpensive .

Cuda Cody

This is one of the reasons I don't like covers.  Try leaving them off or getting a seal-able bubble capsule.  I would first just try leaving the cover off.  :alan2cents:

BIGSHCLUNK

Mygarage floor would sweat BIG time... charcoal... soaks up moistutre. Put a bed under and a little inside. Mice hate it too !

blown motor

Quote from: anlauto on December 08, 2018, 05:37:28 AM

Quote from: Rich G. on December 08, 2018, 06:54:48 AM
Yes the car capsule is the best way to go.They even make one that you can drive in and out of!  I assume the farm shed had no electricity or you were looking for something inexpensive .

I have electricity. The farm is sold and I'll move when I find the right place. For now I can stay here, long term if I want, but solving this problem is one of my main reasons for wanting to move. I will finally have the money to create an awesome storage area in the shed but I don't want to invest in a building I no longer own.

Brads70

Quote from: blown motor on December 08, 2018, 01:48:53 PM
Quote from: anlauto on December 08, 2018, 05:37:28 AM

Quote from: Rich G. on December 08, 2018, 06:54:48 AM

I have electricity. The farm is sold and I'll move when I find the right place. For now I can stay here, long term if I want, but solving this problem is one of my main reasons for wanting to move. I will finally have the money to create an awesome storage area in the shed but I don't want to invest in a building I no longer own.

You need to build a mancave/shop that you can live in!  :yes: