Main Menu

Switch for my lift

Started by jordan, September 17, 2020, 11:49:56 AM

Previous topic Next topic

jordan

I need some electrical help.  The switch for my car lift is broken.  Luckily I dont have a car stuck on there right now.  The push button sticks "in"  on the "on" position.  I dont want to drive my Cuda through the ceiling now do I?  The switch is a McGill 1908-0100.  I see them for a wide range of cost.  What I do know is that this switch is cheaply made and can wreck my expensive stuff quickly and easily.  Is there an alternate switch that is quality made and not crazy expensive as a replacement?  I can always buy 5 of the cheap ones at a time to change out every time they break with a car on the lift.  But a good switch would be better.
"Don't brake until you see God!"

Moosefire66

Not sure about that switch in particular but I believe others have put on a quick throw disconnect in hands reach of the controls just for that reason. Like the pic...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

jordan

I have a safety switch.  And I have had to use it too!!  I have a bungee wrapped around my oil tank to hold the hydraulic relief lever open until I can get it to shut off in case of emergency too.  But, I would rather have it work well instead of doing a work around for when it fails. 
    Still looking for a electrical master with switch knowledge.  Thanks

Rich G.

What brand is the lift out of curiosity since you keep breaking switches?

1 Wild R/T

Got a picture of the motor data plate?   Is it wired for 110 or 220?

jordan

I can get photos and info tomorrow after I get back from the racetrack.  Going racing motorcycles for the last race of the season. 

jordan

Hi Guys,  It's been a crazy month since I posted this.  My old guy house cat passed away, some lady wrecked my motorcycle in the parking ramp at work, and now my step dad is suffering horribly with Covid.  I'm trying hard to keep him out of the hospital and off the ventilator.  He is barely getting by right now, so my attention has been diverted.

Back to the original question.  Is there an alternative to this switch?  Something better quality?  A rocker switch perhaps?  Or should I just get the exact same thing that keeps failing?  Is there a good place to order one?  I see one on eBay, and found a few in Canada.  I worry about getting it shipped from out of the country.  I would like it before Christmas. 
     If any of you electrical geniuses have a better alternative for me, please let me know

blown motor

I wouldn't worry too much about getting it shipped from Canada. The mail is still moving. I expect it would be a small package and go in the regular mail. My daughter mailed a let to the US recently and it took a week and a half.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel