Main Menu

Were Rallye hood emblems standard on Cuda?

Started by gzig5, May 30, 2018, 09:08:20 AM

Previous topic Next topic

gzig5

Were the emblems on the side of the scoops (i.e. 340 Four Barrel) standard on a '73 Cuda?  If they were optional, where would I find that on the build sheet or fender tag?  The hood I have which I thought was original to the car doesn't have the emblems or the holes.  I need to look closer to see if I can verify the originality of this hood, but am curious either way.

Burdar

I'm pretty sure the callouts were standard when you got the 340 engine.  A Cuda or Barracuda 340 should have them.  The standard engine in the Cuda and Barracuda was the 318.  You'd still get the scooped hood with a 318 powered Cuda but it wouldn't have any emblems on the hood.  A 318 powered Barracuda would have come with a flat hood.

JS29

What is the fifth digit of your VIN, G=318 H=340.

anlauto

YES....if your car is a BS23H(0-3) you would have 340 emblems on your hood as part of the Cuda package.

BUT...as stated, that hood was standard on the 318 Cuda and even optional on a 318 Barracuda in which case it would NOT have emblems.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

gzig5

Car is not in front of me at the moment but it is a BS23H 340 Cuda car, so it sounds like it should have had them.  I'll take a closer look at the hood tonight and see if there are remnants of holes. 
Are the hoods stamped with part of the VIN?  It's possible it is not the original hood.  The PO bought the car with a fiberglass AAR repro hood on it and then went back to seller to get some extra parts and bought the "supposedly" original rallye hood from the seller.

Burdar

No VIN stamped on the hood.

If the safety hook is still attached to the hood, it will have a date code on it.  You could compare that date to the SPD.

gzig5

I'll take a look at the hook. 
What would be correct on a '73?  "Cuda 340" or "340 Four Barrel".  Both?   

I'd prefer it could say "Hemi" but only if it were true.

anlauto

Quote from: gzig5 on May 30, 2018, 02:39:47 PM
I'll take a look at the hook. 
What would be correct on a '73?  "Cuda 340" or "340 Four Barrel".  Both?   

I'd prefer it could say "Hemi" but only if it were true.

"Cuda 340" on Plymouth models
"340 Four Barrel" on Dodge models
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Cuda 340 and it is imperative a Cuda with a 340 or stroker has them IMO.
Sheldon

nsmall

My 73 original 340 cuda has an original cuda hood.  Let me know if you need measurements and I will take pics.

tag me with the @nsmall if you need pics

gzig5

I don't think the Rallye hood I have is original to the car.  No evidence of any hole for the emblems, and I can't find any of the original Silver Frost color on the inside under the current black.  Pretty sure it was once on the car because it has the same crappy, cracking black paint job.  The safety hook is on the fiberglass AAR hood but I couldn't find any numbers.  Not a huge deal, but would have been nice if it was the original.  Still not sure which hood it will wear permanently so I have time to ponder.  If/when it goes on, I'll get the proper emblems for it.

RUNCHARGER

You have an AAR hood? Well that would trump needing the emblems I suppose!
Sheldon

gzig5

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on May 31, 2018, 06:58:17 PM
You have an AAR hood? Well that would trump needing the emblems I suppose!

I have both, rallye and AAR.  Decisions, decisions....