Main Menu

What are these screws for on the roof?

Started by Msbaugh440, April 19, 2020, 03:53:19 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Msbaugh440

2 on each side underneath the chrome door trim? What are they for?

Rich G.

They hold the roof rail trim on. Probably pulled through the hole in the trim.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Msbaugh440

They shouldn't be there because they're for the trim? Or they shouldn't be there at all? I removed the screws in the trim and removed the trim and these were underneath. Didn't seem like any holes lined up for the trim is why I'm asking. There were only screws going into the slotted holes

1 Wild R/T

There should be screws that mount the weatherstrip channel, then once thats removed there are screws that mount the outer trim moldings.... If you removed screws for both of those tasks then you have extra screws....

jimynick

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on April 19, 2020, 08:16:16 PM
There should be screws that mount the weatherstrip channel, then once thats removed there are screws that mount the outer trim moldings.... If you removed screws for both of those tasks then you have extra screws....
:iagree:  yep, what the man said. The photo doesn't really show it well, but there could be the metal track that is, as mentioned by Wild, the rubber weatherstrip retainer still there. As I recall, it's held on by washer headed screws like the ones shown. They're not chromed and nor is the retainer. It's stuck on pretty good as there's a self adhesive sponge tape between it and the roof structure. Remove all screws and have a closer look and a little judicious prying might answer your question. Good luck  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

JS29

The head liner is out, can you see or feel anything back in there. Do you know anybody with an inspection camera, and have a look see.  :alan2cents:

anlauto

Judging by the possible location of the screws, it could have been some sort of quick fix at the factory to secure the roofs cross brace.  :dunno: That's an extreme long shot, but look on the inside and see if you can see the other end of the screw, or remove the screws and see if anything happens.... :looney:

In any case, they are not supposed to be there and would likely interfere with the proper installation of the roof rail weather-strip channel :alan2cents: 
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Msbaugh440

The screws aren't holding anything. Interesting... I guess I'll think about just welding up the holes after media blasting