Main Menu

Who knows what about parts catalogues

Started by blown motor, January 17, 2022, 08:26:15 AM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

I bought the parts catalogue rack below and now I'm looking for parts catalogues to fill it. A lot of what I find are in blue binders. Did these racks use a bound book or was it loose leaf? I have found bound books but they aren't drilled to fit in the rack. Someone told me that Chrysler didn't produce books for these racks after 1972. Any information would be helpful.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

HP2

Yeah, you're going to have to search around and find old stock stuff or hit swap meets. Something I'd recommend looking for is a Hollander interchange book. Those are totally cool.

benguin

You'll need to find the loose leaf catalogs.  The ones used in dealerships do show up from time to time.   Those were supplied with updates as needed- the wiser parts folks left the superseded pages for reference.   Case in point- you'll find many of the 1970-1971 combined books are "missing" some pages that applied to 1970 only.

If you round up the pages, the covers may still be available as: Parts Binder & Tabs 81-690-0700G (PB-301)

blown motor

@benguin I have found one or two loose leaf catalogues. Were loose leaf editions used in these racks? One guy told me to look for bound copies.

benguin

@blown motor Mopar never has anything that is a certainty, but up through sometime in the early '80s, most of the dealers that we worked with had the loose leaf, as that's how they added/deleted certain pages and sections.  But with the advent of newer technology, they began freeing up shelf space and dumping (or taking home) the older ones.

I'd love to see any non-repro copies from pre-80 that were pre-bound.  Even the repro copies would work in your rack if you took them into a service oriented full service copy shop- should be pretty quick work to drill out for mounting.

That's a great find- glad that you picked it up!
  Ben

blown motor

So then loose leaf would work ok in that rack, that's good to know. It's hard to find anything that's not in a blue binder. @benguin thanks for you help.

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

blown motor

@RUNCHARGER Those are cool. And it shows me the books did come bound at one time and what I'm looking for. I expect that the US and Canada likely had different covers but maybe not. Would anybody know for sure?

RUNCHARGER

These came from the USA. I don't think Chrysler Canada ones were different than USA ones but you never know. Canada had the 1971 Swinger 340 for instance.
I remember my dealership used the blue binder ones. Not sure when Chrysler went to microfiche, mid 70's maybe? I do remember my Partsman trying to find stuff on the microfiche and saying to heck with it and grabbing partsbooks from beneath the counter lots of times, even in the 80's.
I love paper anything. I have too many brochures, parts manuals and factory repair manuals.
Sheldon

BIGSHCLUNK

We used similar rack back when we used HOLLANDER manuals at the yard. I could send you a manual or two Murray (free) but ship in on you and they are big/heavy. Not exactly MOPAR but....  :notsure:

blown motor

Thanks for the offer @BIGSHCLUNK I've got a line on a 68 and 74 book.  :takemymoney:

HP2

Media mail is designed to reduce shipping on heavy things like book. Easily 30% less than regular post. If they still have it. I haven't shipped a book in a long, long, time.

captcolour

I wanted to try to buy a thermostat housing for the 'cuda at a Chrysler dealer last year rather than aftermarket.  Parts counter looked in the system and couldn't find anything back that far, then disappeared and came back with the parts books to look it up.  Wonder how my dealerships still have old books around and would any give them up?