Main Menu

Who makes the best Flatbed Trailers / Car Haulers?

Started by Cuda Cody, September 18, 2019, 10:36:11 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda Cody

Thinking about getting a new flatbed trailer.  I want a 14K flatbed, but my main concern is braking distance and not getting brake fade when hauling heavy loads down big hills.  I've towed enough now that I'm just getting sick of drum brakes on trailers.  Didn't everyone stop using drum brakes on cars back in the 70's and 80's?  Why are trailers still using drums!!!   :headbang:

I figure I can do it one of two ways.  Either buy an aluminum trailer and save about 1,000 to 1,500 pounds and that will help braking distance or get a steel trailer and add Disc Brakes to it.  My questions is...

Does anyone manufacture a flatbed 14K aluminum trailer with disc brakes? 

Who makes the best flatbed trailers?

tman

Friend of mine loves his Featherlite.  He uses it to transport his 41 Willy's.  Wish I had an answer for trailer brake systems.

https://www.fthr.com/products/car-trailers/bumper-pull

72 Challenger

@Cuda Cody

We have a family friend who races Ferrari's and Porsche's and he really likes his haulmark trailer. http://haulmark.com/trailers
Someday I will have a J0b.

dave73

Look into futura trailers, saw one recently. They are amazing

RUNCHARGER

OT a bit but back in the 80's I used Ford F150 disc brake spindles welded to Mobile Home axles and they worked great. I found I generally had to change 1 caliper a year as they were fairly open to rain and periods of non use so they would seize up but they were easy to change and $20 a piece. Large trucks are just now transitioning to disc brakes and I don't know why it has taken so long.
Sheldon

Cuda Cody

Thank for the heads up on the trailers.  The futura trailers look fantastic, however they do not make one with the load capacity I need.  And Haulmark makes great trailers, but no flatbeds.  I'm going to go look at the Featherlite's today and maybe try to find some Aluma trailers to compare to.   

Burdar

Featherlite trailers are headquartered about 1.5 hours away from me.  You can drive here, pick up your new trailer and stay for a visit.  :bigthumb:

7E-Bodies

@Cuda Cody please share your findings when you make a decision. I'm sure there are a few of us that'd be interested in how your search turns out.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

Ohiowoodchuck

Just about all the trailer manufacturers offer a disc brake option. They use electric over hydraulic. It sends a signal from your brake controller to the actuator/pump and applies the brakes. I've had corn pro and now a Moritz but these have all been in a gooseneck configuration. I know you can get the option on a bumper pull flatbed. I've never had issues with drum brakes on my goosenecks. I just serviced my dual tandem Moritz a year or so ago and it cost me about 600.00. I pull a john deere 310a backhoe and a john deere 440b skidder on it and it does great. I think the skidder weighs about 12500 and the backhoe around 14000. Hope this helps.