Main Menu

Who’s had a herniated disc?

Started by blown motor, August 30, 2020, 12:05:42 PM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

Has anyone had a herniated disc? I have a friend going for surgery on Thursday. Just wondered what anyone else's experience has been.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

usraptor

I've had two fusions in my back to repair herniated discs back to back in 2014/2015.  I had to give up ATV riding as I don't want a third surgery.   Depending on whether he has a fusion or just a disc scope makes a huge difference on recovery time.  If it's a fusion, then it takes a good 10 months before you're what the Dr says is 100%.  It just takes that long for the fusion to get solid.  First week or two is a pain, literally.  But after that the worst part is not being able to do anything very physical.  Can't lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk for a few months.  Back muscles take a while to calm down as they have to pull them to the sides to get access to the spine.  Bottom line is I'm glad I had mine.  Can pretty much do anything I like again, within reason.  The sciatica in my legs is gone which is the biggest plus.  Just can't bend over quit as far as before but it's close.  If his surgery is not a fusion, then recovery will probably be much quicker. 

gzig5

I blew the L5-S1 disc in my late forties.  Not sure how/why it happened.  Lived with sciatica for almost two years, couldn't feel my left foot and leg numb and in pain.  I was lucky that a combo of physical therapy and two epidurals got me fixed up pretty well.  First epidural took care of about 80% and second one a few months later finished it.  Never had to go under the knife.  I can't be stupid about it, but I play golf and live my life as normal again.  It was getting pretty bleak there for a while, and I pity the poor folks that have to suffer through more serious degeneration than I have.

blown motor

Thanks for the reply. Just gathering insight into what's ahead. It's not a fusion. Just going in to clean up what's portruding and compressing the nerve. It's extremely herniated. 10 lb lift restriction the first month and 25 the second.

torredcuda

Been dealing with it for 20+ years. Had surgery in `06 and 80-85% better but still have leg pain, flare ups every so often which require meds (steroids), PT and rest but then had a car accident May`19 and been struggling with pain since. Going to neurosugeon in the next week or so to see what he recommends, hopefully not another surgery but nothing else seems to be helping.  :dunno:  Hopefully your freind has a succesfull surgery as I have talked to many that are worse off and wish they never had it, it`s really a crap shoot.  :verymad:
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

blown motor

Well she walks with a cane now and not very good at that. It all flared up over about three weeks. Her left foot is numb, meds are controlling the muscle spasms. We're hoping there's no lasting foot damage. Thanks for your reply.

torredcuda

Most of my pain is back of right leg/bottom of foot caused by a pinched/damaged sciatic nerve.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

gzig5

I hated the drugs.  Put me in a fog all the time and I felt out of control. I only used them when I really had to.  Bourbon and gin sufficed for the rest of it. :cheers:

R/T's 4 R/P

Had the disc removed between L4 and L5 back in 1987.  Surgery techniques have changed a lot since then.
However, i never have regretted it.  I could barely walk.
I was put on the floor in tears from sneezing.  I had to have it done!

Leading up to it, before going under the knige, I had 4 cortizone shots.  First one made an improvement, but then wore off.  The remaining 3 did nothing.
The doctor told me I would not be 100% after the surgery.  I said, "and what, my choice is living like an invalid?"
I felt better IMMEDIATELY when i woke up from surgery.

As the nerve damage prior to the surgery affected my leg (it actually impacted my gait) i had to relearn how to walk correctly.
For people who have back surgery, i always stress this as one of my biggest lessons learned.  I would go for2 walks a day.  Very slow going in the beginning as i concentrated on walking correctly. Used proper posture, etc.
Walking as rehab on the 5 weeks after the surgery made a huge difference.

So, now, 33 years later, i will get a tinge in my back if i have done something wrong (Bad posture, too much sitting, lift something wrong) once in a while.  It is a constant reminder.
But, i have never regretted having it done.
70 R/T 440 6 Pack
70 T/A
70 SE R/T 383
2015 SRT

dodj

From what has been said above, I'm very glad to know nothing about herniated discs.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Scooter

Herniated the L5~L6 disk back in the 90's.

Lived with it improperly diagnosed for over 10 years... plenty of Vicodin and Ibuprofen.

Started losing feeling in my right leg and toes.. led to MRI and subsequent surgery to remove the kerploded portion of the disk innards compressing the nerve column.

That surgery kicked the can 10 years... once the jelly doughnut looses it's innards it never really reinflates.

Had that disk removed and fusion this March, a week before COVID shut everything down.

floorit426

I had two discs clipped, in 2010. As previously stated, my quality of life was seriously compromised. It took a while before I could walk "normally" and I still have a slight limp, to this day. I have nephropathy, in my left foot, as a result, of all this. The surgery, however was the best thing I ever did. I dealt with the back and leg misery for over two years. I feel that my back is as solid as it's ever been.

Scooter

Just noticed I never really answered the OP's question... way to make it all about me...lol.

After my first procedure to just remove the part of the disk that was compressing the nerve column (believe this is the same procedure your friend is having) the relief was immediate.

I was up and walking around normally and sans the pain that night.

Recovery was fast, like just a few days.

Hope your friend has the same experience.  :twothumbsup: