Main Menu

Working Remotely now and till...forever?

Started by Topcat, May 13, 2020, 05:59:35 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Topcat

I was working a lot from home before the Pandemic.
I pretty much can come and go as I please before, except for meetings every couple of weeks.

But now, it's total non stop at home. 
Zoom meetings is our new norm.

How has the Pandemic affected your working?
Is working from home doing well? Or not?
Will your company do better or worse with the changes?

Wish some things would get back to normal like it was before.
Traffic is not one of them though.

dodj

Not possible for me. Unless your job is electronic, ya gotta go do it at the job site.  :alan2cents:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

JH27N0B

I had to scramble in March to get set up to work from home because I had a desktop at work.  I got a laptop at the last minute, emailed myself links to all the resources I use at work, copied some stuff I had scribbled on the marker board in my cube and grabbed a spare docking station and monitor off a coworker who'd quit several weeks earlier's desk, and out the door I went.
Things have worked out well but I'm still getting tired of being home all the time. And my back is sore from sitting in a less than optimum chair all day.  Even though I'm somewhat of a loner, I miss seeing everyone at the office every day.  I even miss my commute sometimes.
I've heard rumors they expect work from home to last until later this year.
I'm actually probably working more hours now.
Company seems to be managing but I worry. 15% of my pay and 401K match "deferred".  I work designing trucks being sold to vocational customers, to be made into snowplows, fire trucks, utility company trucks etc, and I wonder if with government budgets getting decimated, will orders dry up altogether later this year into next?

RUNCHARGER

I'm not going to work again, I've had it with that crap.
Sheldon

anlauto

I heard on the news that they project when the "new normal" arrives, that a much greater percentage of people will just continue to work from home which would likely mean huge savings for companies, less traffic, less congestion in cities etc...etc... be interesting....I think I will continue to work from home ;)
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Topcat

Quote from: anlauto on May 13, 2020, 08:15:22 PM
I heard on the news that they project when the "new normal" arrives, that a much greater percentage of people will just continue to work from home which would likely mean huge savings for companies, less traffic, less congestion in cities etc...etc... be interesting....I think I will continue to work from home ;)

Property Management companies are gonna take a real hard hit I bet, with all kinds of empty buildings in the future.

anlauto

Quote from: Topcat on May 13, 2020, 08:19:40 PM

Property Management companies are gonna take a real hard hit I bet, with all kinds of empty buildings in the future.

I think this time we're going through will be a real good test for companies. If their work force is just a productive working from home....Think of the benefits for the company and even the employees.....Companies could cut down their office space, employees can stop commuting, maybe even stop before/after school daycare etc...etc...

However on the flip side....like you said....empty buildings....less gas sales, less people taking transit....laid off daycare workers etc...etc...  it will be a NEW NORMAL alright.... :looney:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Topcat

Quote from: anlauto on May 13, 2020, 08:28:26 PM
Quote from: Topcat on May 13, 2020, 08:19:40 PM

I think this time we're going through will be a real good test for companies. If their work force is just a productive working from home....Think of the benefits for the company and even the employees.....Companies could cut down their office space, employees can stop commuting, maybe even stop before/after school daycare etc...etc...

However on the flip side....like you said....empty buildings....less gas sales, less people taking transit....laid off daycare workers etc...etc...  it will be a NEW NORMAL alright.... :looney:

I said to myself the other day..."The new World Order" is here.

I work with ADT so property management is our focus.

Chryco Psycho

Everything I do is hands on so I have to be there , I now have far too many hours to kill each week

Burdar

Overall I think things are going to go back to normal.  It will take a little time but I don't see much changing when all this is done.  :alan2cents:

Daveh

I've worked out of the house for the past 9 years because I have a busy travel schedule so this is no big deal for me.  However all of the administrative staff and sales are working from home except for manufacturing obviously. 

The president said to me yesterday that everyone will be working from home at least until January 2021 maybe longer.  This all just sucks.

torredcuda

Not an option for my shop, we can`t manufacture or inspect metal parts from home, the one person who is working from home is an older man who does the books, the rest of us are in the biulding.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

Cudajason

Week 9 at home for me.  I am an office dweller and do typically do not work from home, unless I absolutely have to.

I am currently working in my son's bedroom as he is the only one with a desk that he is not using.  I don't love it, but I can get my work done.

I am lucky in the sense that my slice of the business has not slowed down at all, in fact we are still growing through all this, which is awesome because its my business to run!!

This will impact our company overall, and we have already gone through a round of voluntary work / pay reductions, and a round of layoffs / firings.

I have no idea when we will be able to go back to the office, but I think it will be different when we go back.  We have and open office policy with now assigned work stations / desks.  I have heard that may change as it may not be the best policy going forward.

I do miss my commune, good down time, but I am still working so I am trying not to complain too much.  It could be much worse.

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Daveh

I agree.  I tell my wife every day that I'm glad to be working full time.  We are a can manufacture and we can't make the cans quick enough to meet the demand.  It's a crazy time.

YellowThumper

Been working at home 8ish weeks. Do not miss the commute. Roughly 2 hours gained by not going in. Have been able to balance working and home projects fairly well. Work the morning. Enjoy the afternoon hours and then work again later that same day. Very busy. 10+ hours a day and still accomplished extras.
Sort of back in plant this week. Just before all hit they bought another building. I am in the new building now. All are now being "distanced" with only every other cubicle filled.
I consider myself efficient and organized so same work gets done regardless of chair I am in. Downside of being in is commute again. Upside of it is when work is done for day it is done. At home it never leaves you. There were days working past midnight. Now 5 or 6 and it starts again tomorrow.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.