Main Menu

NO MORE NAPA GOLD FILTERS

Started by BIGSHCLUNK, May 01, 2024, 08:02:10 AM

Previous topic Next topic

BIGSHCLUNK

Sorry if this has already been posted.
NAPA GOLD filters are no longer WIX !

1970 cuda Joe

Thanks for posting. I've always been a firm believer of Wix filters. These engines are way too important to use anything else...Joe
1970 cuda 440-6, 4 speed NOM. Moulin Rouge

JH27N0B

Whose is making their filters now?
I was in NAPA last month stocking up on VR1 they had on sale and with the prices I saw for their filters, I don't think I'll be buying any filters there anymore anyway.
Wix changed ownership not long ago, and I've seen some questions on if the quality has diminished.  I will need to go online on Rock Auto soon and stock up on some filters.  Maybe Baldwin will be my choice.

BIGSHCLUNK

I will stick with WIX, O'Reillys stocks them. And yes... I stocked up on VR-1. It was also good to know that the hi-end carquest filter is also no longer WIX

JH27N0B

The prices I have seen at O Reillys for Wix filter is nearly what I paid for a 5qt jug of synthetic oil last weekend.   :rubeyes:

blown motor

I use Napa Gold filters. Thanks for posting that @BIGSHCLUNK
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Rich G.

What part number are you using for the Wix oil filter?

BIGSHCLUNK

Quote from: JH27N0B on May 01, 2024, 09:31:21 AMThe prices I have seen at O Reillys for Wix filter is nearly what I paid for a 5qt jug of synthetic oil last weekend.  :rubeyes:
Filters have gotten pricey for sure. Got a WIX 51199 for my New Holland this morning, my cost $42 an change

JH27N0B

Quote from: Rich G. on May 01, 2024, 11:19:59 AMWhat part number are you using for the Wix oil filter?
Depends on what your application is.
But for most of the muscle era Mopar Motors, the Wix 51515 is the correct one.  There is a equivalent but shorter version too, I don't recall the part number off the top of my head though. It might be the 51068?
Seeing this post inspired me to go on Rock Autos website and see what their pricing is since O Reillys is expensive.
It seemed like Wix offerings were leaner on cars I checked.  I hope they are not phasing out their availability?  They listed a WIX for my daily driver close out with 1 available for $3.  I thought great, I will buy that! I added a few more filters to my order and when I went to check out, their old shipping charge from 2 locations game started.  I tried dropping items out of my cart to see if I could get to just a single shipping charge, but no dice.  And paying $7.99 shipping for my 1 close out filter added up to around what I would pay just going to O Reillys!  I ended up getting 3 filters, 2 WIX and one Mopar, for $30 shipped.  Still OK but not great.  I get frustrated with Rock Autos Shipping situation!
A few weeks ago I was at a Meijers store and noticed a bunch of Fram items on a closeout shelf.  I saw some Toughgard TG8As there for under $2 each.  Despite my reservations about Fram, I bought one and looked online when I got home.  Reviews of the Tough Gards seemed positive unlike the "Orange Can of Death" Extra Guard, so I bought 2 more the next time I was there.
I'm pretty well stocked for oil and filters now!

JH27N0B

Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on May 01, 2024, 12:09:29 PM
Quote from: JH27N0B on May 01, 2024, 09:31:21 AMThe prices I have seen at O Reillys for Wix filter is nearly what I paid for a 5qt jug of synthetic oil last weekend.  :rubeyes:
Filters have gotten pricey for sure. Got a WIX 51199 for my New Holland this morning, my cost $42 an change

Last I looked at O Reillys all the filters on the WIX shelf were $12-15 each.  I got a jug of Pennzoil Synthetic 0W20 at Menards on sale last weekend for $19 minus their 11% rebate offer. So around $17 for 5 quarts of oil! Almost the same cost as a oil filter at O Reillys. :rolleyes:

BIGSHCLUNK

12-15 sounds about right.... but I was talking heavy equpt

Brads70

I've been using WIX  51515R it has a finer micron rating.

blown motor

I called my local NAPA store yesterday and asked the manager about this. Conveniently there was a NAPA trade show last night which she was going to and she asked the rep about this. In Canada NAPA Gold is still made by WIX. In the US it's about 50%, split geographically. WIX wants to move to only producing OEM filters so it's expected that over time they will move completely away from making filters for NAPA. So I guess if the filter says Made in USA it may be safe to assume that it's made by WIX.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel