Main Menu

Recent posts

General Topics / Re: HOT RODS,RAT RODS,CUSTOMS,...
Last post by 700 AKN - May 30, 2024, 10:53:15 PM
1970 AMC AMX Javelin

Your Restoration project (ROSEVILLE MOPARTS) / Re: 73 Cuda resto
Last post by Deezel - May 30, 2024, 09:43:10 PM
After ALOT of consideration, I decided to ditch the flat tappet and go hydraulic roller. The deciding factor was my lifter bore clearance was out of spec with the smallest being 0.0020" and largest being 0.0027". Spec for flat tappet is 0.0013" - 0.0019". I know they would have probably still been OK for a flat tappet but it was a good enough excuse to push me into a roller.

Did quite a bit of research and decided to ditch the RPM heads for this build. I bought a new set of Trick Flow 190 heads, Trick Flow roller lifters and am looking into a cam now. After talking with Comp, I'm kinda leaning towards the Xtreme Energy 236/242 Hydraulic Roller Cam. They are telling me this will make great HP and TQ, with the stroker kit, while still retaining enough vacuum to run power brakes.
I had searched for a Lunati roller but after contacting numerous retailers, it's starting to sound like they won't be making any SBM rollers anytime soon. I also see they only show 1 roller cam for a SBM on the website now.

I will find a use for the RPM heads and flat tappet cam/lifters for a different project further down the road or possibly put them up for sale.
The chart I posted seems to have a discrepancy. The row 3 Comments for the 440 4 V says "Same base as 70 340 but no feet brackets used. Has Hemi Orange stripe on one edge to distinguish it from the 440-4V base."
That does not make sense to me either. How can the 440 4 V base have an orange stripe to distinguish it from the 440-4V base?
That is the same base according to the chart. Obviously, a typo or cut-and-paste error.

This might be tough to find out since there are so few 1970 Cuda 440-4 (U-Code) models with a factory Shaker.
@MoparCarGuy
Your chart says 440-4 has no feet.  That is why I was wondering if the 440 has a shorter version of the 383 support rod.
Quote from: Mr Cuda on May 30, 2024, 06:34:42 PMDid 440-4 have a support strut rod like the 383? No, the 440-4 and 440-6 had two 3418693 support brackets a.k.a. "feet". LINK
And what lid? A 14" diameter single 4BBL lid in orange. LINK
I might need a point of clarification from the collective.
I have my 340 base with feet and a spare 4bbl base with no feet.
I always assumed it was a 383, as it had the hole for the support strut in the center pan area.
After cleaning and comparing,  the carb throat is the same height as the 340, which means it's a 440 base. Underside measures just under 1.5inch.
Did 440-4 have a support strut rod like the 383?
And what lid? It appears the base got drilled for a coyote duster style large lid.
It's odd because I removed it from a 383 car(early build using leftovers?)

Quote from: erik70rt on May 30, 2024, 07:23:00 AM
Quote from: cuda hunter on May 29, 2024, 05:37:58 PM
Quote from: erik70rt on January 11, 2024, 09:20:34 AM
Quote from: anlauto on January 11, 2024, 08:57:37 AMWhy are they not stripping the car completely down to bare metal first ? Isn't that just asking for problems down the line ?

In that pic he had just removed the side stripes.  I'll have to ask him why he didn't strip all of the paint.

I'm just curious if you had received an answer from Wayne as to stripping or not stripping the previous paint. 

No, he didn't.   :verymad:

Not trying to prod the wound, but wasn't there some bondo under the paint? 
Thanks for the info.

Those are the only pictures I have of the sheet and they are a little difficult to read.
The fella that has the sheet won't answer my messages to him.
Interior / Re: How to restore A/C vents?
Last post by Duodec - May 30, 2024, 04:09:37 PM
Wonder if one of the 'chrome' spray paints like Dupli-color would work.  Obviously sprayed into a cup and brushed on, unless you're great at masking all the fiddly bits...
Interior / Re: Repair or replace A/C defr...
Last post by Duodec - May 30, 2024, 02:16:52 PM
I pulled the heater core out of storage and found three; the original and two aftermarket ones.  I only remember buying one replacement, a Murray brand from O'Reilly in 2013, found the receipt, but there was another plain box one with no ID.  They look like progressive cheapening has occurred.  The factory unit has more frame metal including a shield on one side of the core and cleanly punched holes in the brackets.  It also has a larger core in the long dimension than either of the two replacements by about 3/8".  One replacement has all the same mounting holes, and the second has different shape on the supporting metal and some of the holes look out of place.

I can't test fit it now, that half of the housing is mid-cleaning.  Pics coming