Main Menu

Triple black cuda convertible at Mecum

Started by JH27N0B, January 07, 2024, 02:27:50 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Brads70

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JH27N0B

Quote from: anlauto on January 08, 2024, 07:02:33 PMBe like driving a frying pan  :o
I'll say. On a sunny day, guaranteed 3rd degree burns!

blown motor

Quote from: anlauto on January 08, 2024, 04:48:24 PMThe F4 convert, like the 68 Hemi Charger...ran WAY TOO EARLY, they should have gone this coming weekend in prime time..

Ya, I wondered why the Hemi Charger ran so early too.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

anlauto

Quote from: blown motor on January 09, 2024, 07:20:26 AM
Quote from: anlauto on January 08, 2024, 04:48:24 PMThe F4 convert, like the 68 Hemi Charger...ran WAY TOO EARLY, they should have gone this coming weekend in prime time..

Ya, I wondered why the Hemi Charger ran so early too.

He told me that was the best slot he could get  :dunno:  last minute I guess :looney:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

JH27N0B

The triple black cuda convertible is running today. I am looking forward to watching it run.
There are a ton of interesting E bodies running today.  There's probably over a 1/2 dozen convertibles and some interesting AARs.  One of the AARs is that FJ5 survivor that Tim Wellborn found with great fanfare a couple years ago.  That is a gem you wonder why he'd be letting it go?
It seems like about half the superbirds in the world are running today too.

7212Mopar

I am not really a fan of convertibles but that black 71 Cuda looks great. Why so many Mopars on sale? Good time to unload? Ok as long as there are buyers.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

JH27N0B

Quote from: 7212Mopar on January 12, 2024, 09:12:42 AMI am not really a fan of convertibles but that black 71 Cuda looks great. Why so many Mopars on sale? Good time to unload? Ok as long as there are buyers.
There are always a lot of high end Mopars and high end cars in general at these major auctions.  In fact if you watch the auctions you wonder why such a high % of them are hemis, 6 packs, A12 cars and wing cars.  They greatly outnumber 383 and 340 type cars.
The fact is that there are a number of high end collectors who trade these types of cars like stocks or futures.  They work with accountants and tax attorneys even, and sometimes don't mind if they lose money on a sale as they can offset gains on other cars they sell.
The more Everyman type 383 and 340 type cars usually end up with enthusiasts who own and enjoy them for years, not buy and sell every year.

Mr Cuda

For too many people,  these cars are status symbols or investments. Market is up, time to sell Amazon Apple,and Cuda's. Yes, there's alot of new money to buy these cars. "They" have it, the average car guy does not. 
 I'm old but, not that old, and remember when the enthusiasts first started selling the rare cars. Then bemoaned prices getting so high,  they couldn't get another
 I am not cosmoline dipping my control arms,  or paint swabbing anything. I will be driving it as much as I can, and hope it's allowed  into the future.
 Then we can talk tesla swap.

Jh27nob beat me too it while I was typing

JH27N0B

Back over 10 years ago when I bought my 71 V code Challenger at a Mecum auction I got lucky in many ways.  It ran late afternoon Saturday when many buyers were gone already.  The seller dropped the reserve over 25% below it.  When picking up the car the next day, the seller met me and gave me a folder of paperwork.  He was not happy and even inquired buying it back. He'd hauled it down on a trailer, bought another car there the previous day, and was motivated to sell because he only had a one car trailer.
I don't think he was a super high end collector but obviously bought and sold cars regularly. The paperwork showed receipts for a lot of recent work that mostly seemed to be related to getting the car back roadworthy like rebuild carbs, fixing deteriorating rollers for the windows, new battery and tires.
Not long after I bought it the fuel pump failed.  While replacing I found lots of rust flakes and realized the inside of the fuel tank was rusting so I had to replace it.
It was apparent the car mostly sat in storage not driven before I bought it,

JH27N0B

Triple black cuda convertible sold for $217,500.
With buyers premium that's 239,500.  I guess the transmission change didn't bother the buyer much.

Mr Cuda

Quote from: JH27N0B on January 12, 2024, 11:24:27 AMTriple black cuda convertible sold for $217,500.
With buyers premium that's 239,500.  I guess the transmission change didn't bother the buyer much.
Or the body alignment and flaws.

JH27N0B

A B5 blue 71 cuda vert sold for only $118,250 and a low mile 1 repaint F8 70 hemi cuda sold for $148,500. Tim Wellborns survivor FJ5 AAR went for $264,000 and a black AAR went for $242,000. So prices are all over the place.
Why didn't this one bring more?

https://www.mecum.com/lots/1111470/1971-plymouth-cuda-convertible/?aa_id=550977-0

Mr Cuda

I do not know.  You were looking for a deal, you missed it.
https://www.mecum.com/lots/1111470/1971-plymouth-cuda-convertible/?aa_id=550977-0
 Still not the one I was looking for.

anlauto

Quote from: JH27N0B on January 12, 2024, 12:22:31 PMA B5 blue 71 cuda vert sold for only $118,250 and a low mile 1 repaint F8 70 hemi cuda sold for $148,500. Tim Wellborns survivor FJ5 AAR went for $264,000 and a black AAR went for $242,000. So prices are all over the place.
Why didn't this one bring more?

This blue car was the deal of the day...I guess people didn't like the blue interior and column shift