Main Menu

Hughesnet internet

Started by Timbbuc2, April 23, 2019, 06:32:53 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Timbbuc2

Anyone using Hughesnet satellite internet? My home internet is very slow. I want to use voice over ip for my home phone but it's too slow here.
Get in, I'll drive

1 Wild R/T

Search for a better option...  Hughesnet is terrible... 
How far out of town are you?
Are there any radio/TV antenna towers in your area?   Often they lease space to WISPs...
http://www.wispa.org/Wispa-News/ArtMID/13028/ArticleID/358/Leaders-in-Fixed-Wireless-Declare-the-State-of-the-Industry-is-Strong-During-Widely-Attended-Spring-Show

Timbbuc2

I am out in the country in a bad zone
Get in, I'll drive

1 Wild R/T

Buddy of mine is in a similar situation, had Hughesnet for a couple years, expensive, had a pretty low cap on useage, to slow to stream videos effectively....
I spend enough time out there helping him with his equipment that it was a PIMA so I took it upon myself to do some research since he & his wife insisted that they had no better options... 
I found a local Wireless Internet Service Provider aka WISP who provides service for about 1/3 the cost, it's not fast like my home internet (150 MBPS) but it's about 15 times faster than Hughesnet, I seem to recall about 20 MBPS, there's no cap.... 

With a WISP you typically have to buy a directional antenna, the higher it is mounted the better, trees can effect the signal...  But once mounted & properly aimed they work well..

If you truly have no better options maybe you should look into becoming the local WISP provider....  Actually, I just did a search, Blount is your only local WISP & they appear to suck.... I see an opportunity.....  You can't be the only person who lives in the country that wants real internet.....

Timbbuc2

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on April 24, 2019, 05:30:19 AM
Buddy of mine is in a similar situation, had Hughesnet for a couple years, expensive, had a pretty low cap on useage, to slow to stream videos effectively....
I spend enough time out there helping him with his equipment that it was a PIMA so I took it upon myself to do some research since he & his wife insisted that they had no better options... 
I found a local Wireless Internet Service Provider aka WISP who provides service for about 1/3 the cost, it's not fast like my home internet (150 MBPS) but it's about 15 times faster than Hughesnet, I seem to recall about 20 MBPS, there's no cap.... 

With a WISP you typically have to buy a directional antenna, the higher it is mounted the better, trees can effect the signal...  But once mounted & properly aimed they work well..

If you truly have no better options maybe you should look into becoming the local WISP provider....  Actually, I just did a search, Blount is your only local WISP & they appear to suck.... I see an opportunity.....  You can't be the only person who lives in the country that wants real internet.....
Everyone in my area is complaining about it. ATT is saying they would have to run more cable and that won't be anytime soon.
Get in, I'll drive

1 Wild R/T

1Burgfish

:wrenching: I am in Remlap in a dead zone where Verizon, AT&T, Sprint... ect... don't work so we had to go with Hughes Net; it's not the fastest but it's better than nothing.

1 Wild R/T

Just had this in my recommended video feed... Might be worth checking out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_f1mLkqYr0

Timbbuc2

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on May 02, 2019, 01:51:32 PM
Just had this in my recommended video feed... Might be worth checking out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_f1mLkqYr0
That is interesting, I will check it out
Get in, I'll drive

captcolour

I live out in the country with no cable TV.  Initially had DSL as the only option but then found a local point-to-point ISP.  I could see the water tower on a nearby ridge so was a candidate.  Was still slow at 5 megs down and 1 up, but way better than DSL.  Used this for about 18 months until they came through with fiber.  Now I'm at 100 megs!