Main Menu

wanted 1973 bucket seat frames

Started by ledphoot, June 17, 2019, 07:48:47 AM

Previous topic Next topic

ledphoot

Need some '73 seat frames with all hardware... Upholstery / foam is non-issue....

Spikedog08

Might be better off just getting the whole seat complete . . then put new covers on.   :yes:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

ledphoot

Quote from: Spikedog08 on June 17, 2019, 07:59:52 AM
Might be better off just getting the whole seat complete . . then put new covers on.   :yes:

Complete would be GREAT.. :)

I purchased all new upholstery and foam from legendary... And repop seat frames from Classic Industries.. Got to looking at it all yesterday and realized those frames will not work for my application. Between frames, rails, foam and upholstery I am in deep and cannot move forward. They really shouldn't list those frames as 1970-1974. There is a pair of 1973 seats on ebay, but they're rusty as hell, not interested in that kind of mess.

I am hoping somebody here will have what I need to continue my project...

gzig5

I'm not completely convinced I'll be keeping my original front seats.  Shoot me a PM and maybe we can work something out. 

ledphoot

Quote from: gzig5 on June 17, 2019, 09:09:58 AM
I'm not completely convinced I'll be keeping my original front seats.  Shoot me a PM and maybe we can work something out.

I purchased this set of seats off of eBay this morning, just obsessing over this issue. Hopefully I can get the guy to ship them or drop them off at a shipping place so they can ship them to me.... If not I may have to take a road trip to Colorado, spend a day going there and a day coming back just to get them. Ugh.. I am just frustrated with this situation, ordered stuff that took months to get here and it does not work together. The people selling those seat frames all say 1970-1974, which while technically true, it isn't completely honest.

These are the seats I bought:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/cuda-challenger-e-body-seats/202647966375

If they don't look too sharp I have all new Legendary upholstery / foam for 'em...

JonH

Just for info that may help others, what exactly is wrong with the aftermarket seat frames? Why can't they be used?

ledphoot

There's nothing technically wrong with the reproduction seat frames, they actually look to be very nice quality. BUT.... When you have a >'72 E-Body you have to deal with what Ma Mopar did with re-designing so much of the interior after '71. These minor tweaks in the covers, pads, plastic etc. make these reproduction seat frames / latches that come with them a major pain in the butt. After waiting 2.5 months for the stuff from legendary to arrive I went to check the foam fitment on the frame and could tell there was a problem. Then I started looking at the latch etc and it was clear that these were different and would cause some pain to make it work.

If you have a '70-'71 I would recommend these frames, they really are nice. If you have a later e-body, do yourself a favor and find some good rebuildable cores and start from there, or commit to getting all the little pieces to make earlier seats ($$$$$) and do that. Trying to make Frankenseats out of the combination probably will not turn out well.

Fortunately for me the eBay seller sounds like he is going to ship those seats to me so this will work out OK in the end.. Just a little more delay and a little more frustration. Hopefully they look as good as the pictures and I can bolt them in and go for now.. I will shelve the covers / foam to recover them at a later date.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Brads70

:iagree:  I likely would have given you mine but shipped would be ridiculous!

ledphoot

You guys are awesome!!!

Thank you.

My impatience as usual is getting the better of me. But the situation should be under control. I have a complete set of seats that appear to be in useable condition heading my way via greyhound bus for $200 shipping from Colorado. Hopefully they arrive undamaged from the journey.

I just want to get this car back together. So close but so far. So many delays.

Claudia

Just so you know that you are not alone . . . I have done my entire car myself thus far from body work, paint, engine, front suspension, rear end, glass, interior . . . you name it, I have done it . . . without a doubt, by far the biggest headache has been the front bucket seats.