Main Menu

Speaker question

Started by fireguyfire, May 29, 2020, 09:25:30 PM

Previous topic Next topic

fireguyfire

I've got a factory AM radio that I am going to reinstall back into my 73 challenger. My local parts supplier who's a year one dealer sold me a retro sound speaker that fits the dash opening, but has 2 modern speakers within it.
My parts guy said that all I would need to do is install a 4 ohm resistor on the positive speaker wire between the radio and the speaker.
Simple enough but while I was soldering in the resistor tonight and thinking the install through a couple of questions jumped to mind.
Because the new speaker has 2 speakers in it, it has 2 pairs of spade connectors, and 2 speaker wires running to it; which makes sense.
I am assuming that I will have to add the 4 ohm resistor to both positive speaker wires; 1 for each speaker.
My question is about hooking the new 2 sets of speaker wires up to the factory AM radio; I don't want to alter the factory plastic speaker connector, so I will figure out a spade connector that will work inside of the radio connector.
Being there are 2 speaker feeds, should I just connect both positives to the 1 radio positive, and both negatives to the factory negative?
Thought I'd double check that before I actually make the connections, and power up the radio

Chryco Psycho

That is the only way to do it , you only have 1 positive & 1 negative from the radio so both terminals on the speaker need to connect from the single output But if you do it in series you may not even need the 4 ohm resister as going through both speakers in series may create adequate resistance .

Bullitt-

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

fireguyfire

Some great info in that thread; thanks!