Main Menu

Grill finish

Started by GoMangoBoys, April 19, 2021, 10:15:23 AM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

I am working on our grill now.  I have disassembled it and am cleaning it up.  I have a few questions about finish of the various parts.
1.  The bezel that goes around the egg crate seems to have a brushed finish.  Will I screw it up if I clean it up with a fine sandpaper? This is not an anodized part is it?  Someone in the past put red pinstriping on the front edge and I am having to scrape that off.
2.  Should the egg crate be painted of shiny aluminum?  I have seen pictures of them both ways.
3. The oval trim piece that steps in from the headlight bezels is supposed to be all black except for the inner section?

Brads70

If it helps you any, here is what I did to mine. Not claiming its " correct" but I'm happy with the results.

https://forum.e-bodies.org/body-shop/5/-cleaning-up-a-argent-1970-challenger-grill/69/

headejm

These photos from a 1970 RT/SE should be correct.

GoMangoBoys

Is rhe bezel that surrounds the egg crate a brushed finish, or is it anodized?

70/6chall

This is what did to to my grill to clean it up. The whole front clip is original to the car, as is the rest of the car. So the guys on the assy. line installed what you see. After using it as a daily driver for so many years it started looking a little warn and tired. So I took a good degreaser and a stiff engine brush and scrubbed the egg crate and just cleaned the metal.I then polished the egg crate surround to reflective surface. I had the hood leading edge trim and the headlight bezels professionally cleaned up and polished. I used this Plasti-Kote gray spray bomb I picked up from Pep-Boys, it really resembles the Astrotone gray finish for the part of the grill around the egg crate and the headlight bezels. I think it looks great for a base model 6-cylinder car.

70/6chall

Sorry I used the gray textured paint by Dupli-Color. Thanks,   Al

Yeya93

@GoMangoBoys i just restored my grill. I still need small touchups here and there, but the aluminum surrounding the egg crate I believe to be anodized. My uncle scratched my top portion of it installing the rivets, so i had to sand it down to remove the scratch and saw the removal of anodization. I just re sanded to 2000 grit with a brushed finish. Looks good to me. Don't mind the blemishes on paint, it's just dust.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Brads70

Quote from: GoMangoBoys on April 19, 2021, 06:13:30 PM
Is rhe bezel that surrounds the egg crate a brushed finish, or is it anodized?

Anodized, the repops are painted silver. I was all set to buy one at Carlisle one year till I noticed that . Then I passed considering what they wanted for them.