Main Menu

Dana 60 or 8 3/4 build for Demon engine?

Started by speedbird1229, April 02, 2024, 10:59:49 AM

Previous topic Next topic

speedbird1229

Hi,

I am wondering what it takes to build the 8 3/4 rear axle or Dana 60 to withstand the torque of a Demon (Red Eye) 6.2 engine? Mainly for street use.

What is the approximate cost of parts for proper setup? Trying to get a ballpark figure here.

Thanks!
George
1970 Hemi Cuda Supercharged 8-speed restomod project in Europe
Project forum post (blog)

anlauto

I bought a Moser Dana 60 to put behind the redeye hellcat Cuda I'm building
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Just do a Moser Dana 60 and be done with it. If you source an 8 3/4 with a decent suregrip, new gears, bearings and setup it will cost the same but make you sad one day.
Sheldon

Brads70

Agreed on the Dana, its a no brainer IMO. I have 2 S60's from Cass now with zero regrets!
https://www.doctordiff.com/strange-60.html

MoparLeo

;) Of course it only matters if you can get traction....
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

speedbird1229

Quote from: anlauto on April 02, 2024, 12:22:45 PMI bought a Moser Dana 60 to put behind the redeye hellcat Cuda I'm building
If I may ask, what exact setup did you get and how much did it end up costing? I need it in Europe so I'm going to have some calculations to do  :D Thanks a lot.
George

speedbird1229

Quote from: MoparLeo on April 02, 2024, 05:25:22 PM;) Of course it only matters if you can get traction....
Haha, that's true for sure! Could happen though, even on the street  :yes:

Quote from: Mr Cuda on April 02, 2024, 11:47:55 AMEveryone gas had their own experience with 8 3/4 durability and high horsepower. 
 As a youth, I was warned not to use behind my 440-4spd. I did and thought I would be easy on it until the dana was cleaned up.
 One power shift and the 3.55 8 3/4 diff started making noise.
 The problem is the pinion tries to climb the ring and I ended up brinelling the pinion bearings.
 So in my opinion,  shock load is the downfall of the 8 3/4. To what HP limit, I don't know.
 Dana has case strength and mass, ford 9" has that 3rd bearing to stabilize. 700hp and big torque would have me go dana.
Thanks for this feedback. I'm also afraid of the 8 3/4 on this setup. Would the Dana 60 setups from Moser or Strange S-60 last this setup even with drag slicks on 800HP / 700+ lbft torque?
George

anlauto

Quote from: speedbird1229 on April 03, 2024, 10:40:36 AM
Quote from: anlauto on April 02, 2024, 12:22:45 PMI bought a Moser Dana 60 to put behind the redeye hellcat Cuda I'm building
If I may ask, what exact setup did you get and how much did it end up costing? I need it in Europe so I'm going to have some calculations to do  :D Thanks a lot.

I'm in Canada, shipping wasn't cheap...I ended up around $6700 CDN all in....I just called and talked to them, asked them what they thought I needed....
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Chryco Psycho

8 3/4 diffs break & cost the same to build as a Dana
 No question where to spend the $$

TripleBlk70

ok, so everyone agrees that the Dana 60 is best for 700+hp, so I don't feel like I'm thread-jacking too much ere when I ask "what about an 8 3/4 for a 392 (485hp)? My car will have the 6.4 hemi with an 8spd auto trans and 8 3/4 2ith 3.23 sure grip...which seems like it should be just fine?

I'm not going to drag race the car or anything, but I will definitely won't be afraid to get on the go-pedal from time to time.

RUNCHARGER

IMO, you'll be fine with the automatic. It's the shock loads from the manual clutch drops and power shifts that break them.
Sheldon