Main Menu

Rear window defroster - worth the effort?

Started by gzig5, May 08, 2024, 12:32:04 PM

Previous topic Next topic

gzig5

Trying to plan a little for my interior restoration.  Is it worth the effort to add the rear window defroster apparatus to my 73 Cuda, which did not come equipped with it?  Car is in no way a numbers type restoration.  I am most curious as to how effective the defroster is.  I will be driving it in all sorts of Wisconsin weather, excluding snow hopefully, but including cool/cold spring and fall weather so interior fogging is likely to be a real thing.  If they are effective, I'll get the parts and add one.  If not, I'll find another way via electrical means or other blower retrofit.

71GranCoupe

You have to remember they draw heated air from the seating area and then blows the air up to the rear window to warm the glass to remove the moisture or melt the frost. With that in mind, they work ok as long as you take the time to warm up the vehicle. They were ok at the time, now the heated glass is far superior. I have one in my RT-SE but have never driven it in inclement weather and just turn it on once in awhile to keep the bearing lubed.

Brads70

In the late 80's I had a 73 Challenger with one. I found it about as useful as teats on a Bull. After about 30 minutes of driving I had maybe a 3" hole I could see thru.  My vote is no, not worth the effort.

RUNCHARGER

My experience has been different. Back when I drove these cars almost every day, I had a 71 without one and the rear window was always fogged over in damp, cool weather spring, fall and winter. My 70 had the rear blower and it kept the misty fog off in the same conditions. It's not the heat that takes the misty fog off, it's the movement air even if it's cool.
Sheldon

dodj

I have the parts to send you.
I'll probably toss them soon. Let me know if you want them. Not looking to make a bunch of $$. Just don't want to toss them in the trash.
Just so you remember.....I'm in Canada...shipping MAY make it unfeasible.....economically.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

7212Mopar

When glass surface temperature is colder than the dew point temperature of air, moisture will condense on the glass surface. You can remove the air moisture in the air by turning in AC in full recirculation. The moisture on the glass will evaporate and absorb by the drier air. Air movement will make it go faster. If you have no AC then you can turn on the heater in recirc mode. Warmer air can hold more moisture and moisture on glass will evaporate. Again air movement by the glass helps. So yes, the rear air defroster moving air helps but don't do much by itself only.

Modern car has electric resistance heater on glass. Defrost mode turn on AC to remove moisture and run the heater to reheat the air to maintain cabinet temperature setpoint.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

71vert340

Interesting about rear window defrost. My 74 Charger Rallye came with the electric heat tape on the window. It was the first year Dodge offered it. I also found out it's a rare option. My guess is that it was also offered in the 74 Challenger. I'll incllude a photo or two of it in my Charger.
Terry W.

71vert340

Here's a do-it-yourself kit. Just enter your window size desired to be defrosted and find it on their chart.
 https://frostfighter.com/clear-view-order-guide.htm
 Terry W.

gzig5

Quote from: dodj on May 08, 2024, 06:44:00 PMI have the parts to send you.
I'll probably toss them soon. Let me know if you want them. Not looking to make a bunch of $$. Just don't want to toss them in the trash.
Just so you remember.....I'm in Canada...shipping MAY make it unfeasible.....economically.

Thanks for the offer, I'll send you a PM and we can see how much of a pain it would be.

Thanks to everyone else for the feedback.  I feel like I am going to want something there and it maybe a combination of blower and heater tape.

57Fury440

When I ordered the 72 I have I got the rear defroster. I drove it for years as my daily driver and the defroster was great. I still have the Barracuda and the defroster still works.

dodj

I found the blower motor...still looking for the duct and speaker hole plate. It's been a while since I laid eyes on them...is there a deadline?...lol
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

dodj

Hi GregHere is s pic of two defroster motors and the defrost bezel. At this point I can't find the short duct. I will keep looking. It is a 2.5" duct. If I can't find it I'm sure you could come up with a suitable ducting.