Main Menu

340 Rocker Mount Question

Started by erik70rt, May 22, 2024, 05:42:40 AM

Previous topic Next topic

erik70rt

I went to install my rocker arms last night and I noticed that the usual "cradles" on the heads where the bolts mount were not on my heads.  The mounts are completely flat (see pics).  I assume that at some point they were ground off.  Will this affect my rocker installation?  I started to install one and noticed when I got to the proper torque on the bolts that it wasn't actually sitting on the mounts.  Perhaps my push rods are too long as well?  I have the stock 340 push rods.  I did change the cam from stock to the Lunati Voodoo 10200703LK (lift of .494/.513).
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

73_Cuda_4_Me

Wow, that is odd! You might have a problem there stabilizing the shaft when bolted in. It appears that the shaft mounts have been milled and all heli-coiled. I would thread mounting bolt all the way in, measure the distance above mounting pad to bottom of bolt head and clamp washer, to make sure you aren't bottoming out the bolts before shaft is clamped.

It may really effect the oil pressure and flow to the rockers as well, if there isn't a proper clamping action seal when shaft is bolted on...

:alan2cents:
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

Chryco Psycho

What heads are these , Casting # ?
 Some of the race heads used cradles that will bolt down with the shafts allowing for different heights

gzig5

Either a set of stock heads was modified by grinding the cradles flat, most likely to better optimize the rocker to valve tip geometry with aftermarket parts, or you have a set of W2 race heads which came with the cradle ground off.  What is the history/story behind your heads and engine?  Easy way to determine W2 is the intake ports are oval, unless they were ported to rectangle  in which case they'd be much larger than stock port openings.

erik70rt

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 22, 2024, 06:49:01 AMWhat heads are these , Casting # ?
 Some of the race heads used cradles that will bolt down with the shafts allowing for different heights

3418915 1970 U code

erik70rt

Quote from: 73_Cuda_4_Me on May 22, 2024, 06:07:35 AMWow, that is odd! You might have a problem there stabilizing the shaft when bolted in. It appears that the shaft mounts have been milled and all heli-coiled. I would thread mounting bolt all the way in, measure the distance above mounting pad to bottom of bolt head and clamp washer, to make sure you aren't bottoming out the bolts before shaft is clamped.

It may really effect the oil pressure and flow to the rockers as well, if there isn't a proper clamping action seal when shaft is bolted on...

:alan2cents:

They definitely weren't bottomed out.  I put the helicoils in because the bolt holes were 3/8 instead of 5/16.  I don't like them, but it was better than drilling the rocker shafts and retainers larger.

erik70rt

Quote from: gzig5 on May 22, 2024, 08:10:16 AMEither a set of stock heads was modified by grinding the cradles flat, most likely to better optimize the rocker to valve tip geometry with aftermarket parts, or you have a set of W2 race heads which came with the cradle ground off.  What is the history/story behind your heads and engine?  Easy way to determine W2 is the intake ports are oval, unless they were ported to rectangle  in which case they'd be much larger than stock port openings.

Definitely not W2 heads.

Chryco Psycho

Time to have some pedestals machined I guess

Brads70

I've seen a few Circle track motors with this done, to improve geometry along with bushing the lifter bores. You will need the correct saddles, they look like squares with a hole in the middle that go over the shafts.

erik70rt

Quote from: Brads70 on May 24, 2024, 04:53:41 AMI've seen a few Circle track motors with this done, to improve geometry along with bushing the lifter bores. You will need the correct saddles, they look like squares with a hole in the middle that go over the shafts.

Do you have a pic or know where I can get them?  Summit?  Mancini?

RUNCHARGER

Easy to make, my son had a damaged one on his W-2 and it was simple to machine, however he had one for a pattern.

https://angeluccimfg.com/products/mopar-w2-w5-rocker-stands
Sheldon