Main Menu

Dumb rocker question.

Started by Rdchallenger, September 03, 2020, 04:48:28 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Rdchallenger

When when my car got sandblasted they for some reason didn't do either of the rockets (whatever don't care anymore) anyway I'm taking them down to bare metal and I've noticed filler or sealer under the original primer. Has anyone else ran into that?

anlauto

Is the at the factory rocker/quarter seam ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

jimynick

Rob, I've never seen that much schmutz in a factory repair. I'd grind it all off and see if the rocker underneath is still smooth. I'll bet it's not and what you're dealing with is an old collision or rust repair that's just now coming to light. Better now than later buddy.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Rdchallenger

Quote from: jimynick on September 03, 2020, 06:25:11 PM
Rob, I've never seen that much schmutz in a factory repair. I'd grind it all off and see if the rocker underneath is still smooth. I'll bet it's not and what you're dealing with is an old collision or rust repair that's just now coming to light. Better now than later buddy.  :cheers:

Honestly after the picture I kept grinding away at it and the metal is clean and solid with no signs of damage either :dunno:

Rdchallenger

Quote from: anlauto on September 03, 2020, 05:00:17 PM
Is the at the factory rocker/quarter seam ?

No that's the whole rocker. Up closer to where the fender would be. The picture just uploaded upside down.

RUNCHARGER

I imagine the sealer was in a pressurized gun. Line worker might have left it open making a mess while he was taking a swig from a jug.
Sheldon

RacerX

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on September 04, 2020, 07:06:37 AM
I imagine the sealer was in a pressurized gun. Line worker might have left it open making a mess while he was taking a swig from a jug.

Like this?     :yes:

Katfish

I just repaired a rust spot on the rocker ahead of the rear wheel well.
I too noticed a bunch of filler further up near the back edge of the door opening.
No sign of previous rust or repair in that area.
I have no way of knowing if it was a previous repair, if it was, it wasn't rust.

Rdchallenger

Hopefully this loads right side up... seems it's tricky with the IPhone on here lol. Anyway here's the rocker in bare metal... no clue why the filler 🤷🏻‍♂️😂

jimynick

Let's look at the bright side, shall we? The rocker looks pretty good, so I'd take a board file with a 120 grit strip on it and give the rocker a few strokes and see how she looks. If the sanding scratches are uniform and cover all the surface of the rocker then either you're the victim of an ancient bondo demonstration done just for hellry or maybe it was somebody's attempt at evening up panels. Either way, if there's no rot, count your lucky stars and roll on!  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Mopar5

Quote from: jimynick on September 08, 2020, 09:07:04 PM
Let's look at the bright side, shall we? The rocker looks pretty good, so I'd take a board file with a 120 grit strip on it and give the rocker a few strokes and see how she looks. If the sanding scratches are uniform and cover all the surface of the rocker then either you're the victim of an ancient bondo demonstration done just for hellry or maybe it was somebody's attempt at evening up panels. Either way, if there's no rot, count your lucky stars and roll on!  :cheers:
Skim coating was once the fad.When I sripped my challenger to bare steel every single part was skim coated. The parts had no body damage. There was even skim coat in the hood vents ,Cant get over how much labor had to be invloved in that uneccesary task. The panels looked way better once the filler was removed.