Main Menu

1970 Challenger early door glass differences

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, August 14, 2019, 02:54:24 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

In trying to get the RT ready for sale, I decided to fix one of the door windows that wasn't working quite right. When I compared the pieces inside to the rebuild kits, I noticed some of my parts were different. In addition, I reviewed a few threads here for guidance and found that my doors seemed different as well. Finally, out of frustration, I unburied my other 70 Challenger so I could make more comparisons and figure the whole thing out.

What I found is that my RT, which was built in the first or second week of August, is a little different from my other car built a few months later. The early car did not have the other guides or even holes in the door shell for the guides. It had only the up stops and that's it.

Another thing I found is that my early RT had these round spacers sandwiched in between the front sliders rail and the glass. Doesn't appear to be the same as my later car and the kits don't offer very good photos so it's hard to know if new ones are even available.

This may be common knowledge but it's the first I've seen or heard of it so I thought I'd share some pictures.

70 Challenger Lover

Here's a photo from another thread of someone else's car with the stops and guides all in place. My burnt orange car built in November has it but my orange RT built in August has no holes for the additional two glass guides.

Chryco Psycho

Cool info , I believe my late Aug chall built sept 2 has the extra holes but it has been almost a decade since I assembled it

B5fourspeed

My September Cuda does not have the holes for the extra guides.

70 Challenger Lover

So not a fluke I guess. I suppose there must have been a change to add the extra guides after the first couple months of production for some reason. Mine seem to work just fine without the added guides.