Main Menu

1970 Challenger Rear Sail Panel/Headliner Rebuild

Started by kent_goins, March 26, 2017, 02:08:43 PM

Previous topic Next topic

kent_goins

Hello All:
In the spirit of sharing as Cody always suggests, I am posting some pictures of my handywork. I received some help from him yesterday on my 70 Challenger headliner and sail panel board rebuild. I was having problems trying to fit the sail panel boards behind the rear windows. I had purchased these with the headliner from Legendary Interiors a few years back. Could not get the panel boards to fit so I shot some pics, sent them to Cody and he promptly suggested they are for a 70 Cuda and why do they have fabric attached? He also alerted me to some missing parts. Many thanks to Cody for his continued patience and help to the community. As always...this board rocks :yes:

Turns out I had to create a template and cut the panel boards which fit perfectly the first time....rarely ever happens. I celebrated with some tequila. I think we simply got the wrong headliner and sail panel boards sent to us....I hope Legendary with exchange them.

kent_goins

And the drivers side....
Now I just have to find the missing galvanized lower teeth sheet metal that runs along the bottom of the panel board which holds the sail panel portion of the headliner below the panel board

Topcat

Looks great.

What material did you use?

I bought the reproduction sail panel boards and they didn't have the form curve to them.
So when I put them on, the clip holder that's teethed onto the cardboard, broke off.

Eventually I found a place that had the material already on and it was pre curved.
Someplace up in WA. Don't remember the  name.

kent_goins

I used about 1/8" thick waterproof construction board. Is very pliable...within reason and conforms to the compound surface. According to discussions with Cody, the panel board should not have material on it for a 1970 Challenger. The headliner is cut big enough to fit to the bottom of the panel board and is glued to it at the time of installation of the headliner.

Cuda Cody

Nice work!!!   :twothumbsup:  You might be covering up one of the headliner bow clips?    :notsure:    I'll share some photos of originals just for future reference too.  This post might help too:

https://forum.e-bodies.org/reference-material/18/headliner-bow-colour-chart/702/

Have you found the lower metal teeth that go behind the rear interior panel?  You'll need one on each side and then you'll want the 2 small clips that hold the last headliner rod in place as you install it.

kent_goins

Awesome pics!!...thanks Cody and yes I have the two rear clips for the last bow. We are looking for the two plates with teeth. Should have those by next weekend. Thanks for the heads up on the covered up bow pocket...I will have to cut those out next weekend. Not a biggie.

71TA

I'm waiting for my steel rule die tools to come in next week for these. I've had a very patient customer waiting for me to find time to reverse engineer these in the correct shape and with the correct creases, to have the round head wireform clips made from stainless, to order the correct thickness tan (and black) chipboard and again have the tools made. Wish I could make things faster but all that takes time. At my shop now reverse engineering parts.

Below is a picture of the reference parts I had with the new clips shown.

RUNCHARGER

That is awesome! It will be nice to have correct ones available.
Sheldon

cataclysm80

That's great news Jim.   Always nice to have more good parts available!

Cuda Cody

You are a true asset to the hobby Jim.  Thanks for all your hard work!!!   :worship:

Quote from: 71TA on April 01, 2017, 06:40:17 PM
I'm waiting for my steel rule die tools to come in next week for these. I've had a very patient customer waiting for me to find time to reverse engineer these in the correct shape and with the correct creases, to have the round head wireform clips made from stainless, to order the correct thickness tan (and black) chipboard and again have the tools made. Wish I could make things faster but all that takes time. At my shop now reverse engineering parts.

Below is a picture of the reference parts I had with the new clips shown.

RusTy/SE

Quote from: kent_goins on March 26, 2017, 02:18:18 PM
And the drivers side....
Now I just have to find the missing galvanized lower teeth sheet metal that runs along the bottom of the panel board which holds the sail panel portion of the headliner below the panel board

These are from my R/T SE for location reference..
JS29U0B

There are no traffic jams along the extra mile - Roger Staubach

cataclysm80

If I recall correctly, SE sail panels are different and have different metal "teeth".
It's neat to see them.

It looks odd to have the dome light wiring going over the teeth though.  Is that how it's done on SEs?

Cuda Cody

:banana:  That's the first time I've seen a RT/SE set up for the headliner.  Thanks for sharing!!!   :slapme5:

Quote from: RusTy/SE on April 02, 2017, 02:44:44 PM
And the drivers side....

kent_goins

Are the upper set of teeth only for SE? Just want to make sure I get it right for my 70 RT

KG

RusTy/SE

Quote from: cataclysm80 on April 02, 2017, 08:07:02 PM
If I recall correctly, SE sail panels are different and have different metal "teeth".
It's neat to see them.

It looks odd to have the dome light wiring going over the teeth though.  Is that how it's done on SEs?

I'm not certain but I believe that wiring leads to the trunk, part of the A01 Light Package?

Quote from: Cuda Cody on April 02, 2017, 10:44:50 PM
:banana:  That's the first time I've seen a RT/SE set up for the headliner.  Thanks for sharing!!!   :slapme5:

Quote from: RusTy/SE on April 02, 2017, 02:44:44 PM
And the drivers side....

Welcome Cody, always glad when I can help out :)

JS29U0B

There are no traffic jams along the extra mile - Roger Staubach