Main Menu

1970 Challenger Rear Sail Panel/Headliner Rebuild

Started by kent_goins, March 26, 2017, 02:08:43 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cataclysm80

Quote from: RusTy/SE on April 03, 2017, 03:45:17 PM
Quote from: cataclysm80 on April 02, 2017, 08:07:02 PM
It looks odd to have the dome light wiring going over the metal teeth.  Is that how it's done on SEs?

I'm not certain but I believe that wiring leads to the trunk, part of the A01 Light Package?

The rear body wiring harness plugs in near the drivers kick panel, and runs rearward along the driver's side of the car, over the wheel well into the trunk for the rear lights.
The dome light wiring comes off this harness and goes up the C pillar to the roof bracing where the dome light is located.
IF the car has a trunk light, I think that does plug into the dome lights wiring.

Regardless of what the wiring goes to, my concern is that it's placed on top of the metal teeth.  Pulling the wiring into the metal teeth could cause a short.  It should probably be routed differently.

71TA

Finally received my tooling for the 2nd time. DAMN these are expensive to do correctly. Worse part is 2 tools are required unlike some of the other bodies. I had the round clips made from stainless too. These are made from .080" tan chipboard just like OEM. I also have them in black chipboard. Has all the correct creases too.

Did I hear somewhere that just 70 & 71 had these sail panels or do all the Challengers use them?

cataclysm80

If those are the style for the SE headliner, it was only available in 70 & 71.

71TA

These were from a 70 or 71 (non SE). After scouring the web it looks like they weren't used (but could be) on 72 an up.

Looks like the SE panels were different and covered in that foam backed suede like material.

headejm

:iagree: SE sail panels are different. No cutouts and one panel clip attached to the back. Same clip that holds the bottom of the door panels.

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

750-h2

Quote from: RusTy/SE on April 02, 2017, 02:44:44 PM
Quote from: kent_goins on March 26, 2017, 02:18:18 PM
And the drivers side....
Now I just have to find the missing galvanized lower teeth sheet metal that runs along the bottom of the panel board which holds the sail panel portion of the headliner below the panel board

These are from my R/T SE for location reference..

I am about to install the headliner on my SE. I also have the "teeth" behind the sail panels but have no idea what they are for? My sail panels are hard moulded cardboard with a single push on clip. The back of the original cardboard sail panels are smooth and clean. Teeth appear to have nothing to do with the actual sail panel?  Are the teeth used for something else like maybe insulation? :notsure:

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: 750-h2 on August 14, 2018, 06:07:33 AM
Quote from: RusTy/SE on April 02, 2017, 02:44:44 PM
Quote from: kent_goins on March 26, 2017, 02:18:18 PM
And the drivers side....
Now I just have to find the missing galvanized lower teeth sheet metal that runs along the bottom of the panel board which holds the sail panel portion of the headliner below the panel board

These are from my R/T SE for location reference..

I am about to install the headliner on my SE. I also have the "teeth" behind the sail panels but have no idea what they are for? My sail panels are hard moulded cardboard with a single push on clip. The back of the original cardboard sail panels are smooth and clean. Teeth appear to have nothing to do with the actual sail panel?  Are the teeth used for something else like maybe insulation? :notsure:

Those teeth don't seem to do anything on an SE...

750-h2

Thanks, that's what I was originally thinking but was unsure after seeing this thread.