Main Menu

6 way adjustable seat track help

Started by challboy728, February 17, 2023, 07:19:52 AM

Previous topic Next topic

challboy728

Need some help on my 6 way adjustable seat track assembly for my Challenger.  After I reassembled the seat track assembly, it will not move up or down on the end where the torsion springs are.  I am wondering if I have installed the torsion springs incorrectly?  Perhaps the springs are switched?  Maybe I have too much tension on the inner spring?  Other thoughts or ideas?? 🤔
Any info on and/or pictures of the correctly assembled seat track would be very much appreciated!!
Pictures of my assembled track are attached. 

anlauto

Have you tried it in the car or only on the bench ? It's been my experience that it takes a lot of effort to get them to go down (sorta like my wife) :foul:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

challboy728

Thanks for the suggestion, but I had it in the car as well, couldn't get it to lower there, either.

Jay Bee

When you move the arm does the pawl completely disengage from the teeth on both sides? (circled in yellow).

challboy728

Yep, it is disengaged, although it is close.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Jay Bee

Another thing I just remembered. On mine when I want to lower it I actually have to lift my arse up and jump down on it while, obviously, with the arm/lever moved.

I recall doing this decades ago when it was out of the car. I needed to stand on it and sort of jump to make it lower. Not an actual jump, kind of like bending my knees and forcing downward pressure with my body, if that makes sense.

A bit hard to tell but, from these pictures, it looks like you have yours correct. That is if I'm seeing things right.

https://www.forebodiesonly.com/forum/threads/1970-71-cuda-challenger-6-way-seat-track.12326/

challboy728

Thanks for the tips, JB.  I'll try a little later today to see if I can get it to move.  It just seems to me that the assembly could have been engineered a little better so it does not take so much force to get it to move!

anlauto

I agree with John, it takes a lot of effort  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

71GranCoupe

Not sure about other adjusters, but the one in my low milage car is a little quirky in the car. Those are some fairly heavy springs and four of them to attempt to move on a bench appears it could be challenging.

challboy728

Than you to all for your suggestions.  I put standing pressure on the adjuster and it moved quite readily.  I was expecting a lot less force to get it to move.  I expect it will be tricky to get it adjusted when it is reinstalled.  I will have to learn the correct butt wiggle, I suppose.
Again, thanks for all the help!!👍