Main Menu

Correct cigarette lighter

Started by 750-h2, June 13, 2018, 06:21:13 PM

Previous topic Next topic

750-h2

Can anyone post a picture of a OE factory installed cigarette lighter for a 1970 Challenger. I think it should have a metal all chromed knob, but I have seen different knob designs. The one that came in my car has a metal chrome knob with its center painted black. Pretty sure it is not correct.  Thanks

headejm

Here's mine. All chrome.

RUNCHARGER

Nice! A commonly missing part.
Sheldon

Jay Bee

Here's what's in my 1970 Barracuda. I think it's original, if not, can someone please tell me. Not that it matters, just for future reference.

750-h2

Again both are similar but different?

EV2RTSE

headejm looks to have the correct one.

Jay Bee

Quote from: EV2RTSE on June 14, 2018, 08:17:22 PM
headejm looks to have the correct one.

Thanks, that's good to know. It answers what I asked in my previous post.

anlauto

These are cheap...less then 10 bucks..... Dorman 56456
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

AAR#2

Quote from: 750-h2 on June 13, 2018, 06:21:13 PM
Can anyone post a picture of a OE factory installed cigarette lighter for a 1970 Challenger.  . . , but I have seen different knob designs. . . .

The first photo is generally considered the accepted norm for e-bodies, some will even argue it exclusively, but there are those that report having the knurled knob shown in the 2nd post. Some have speculated the knurled knob may have been for certain models, or perhaps different suppliers. Considering there is but one PN for knobs in 1970 & 71 (2290188, all models) with cases of both smooth and knurled being found in original owner cars, it appears to support the idea that more than one supplier may have been used.

In my opinion, either is acceptable

6bblgt

saw this thread & wondered  :thinking: if or what was in my mid-July 1970 Hamtramck built '70 Challenger R/T 96K mile project

ashtray still full of butts ( can I get these checked for DNA & find a former owner ?? ) & this  :takepicture:

appears to be the same as pictured by @headejm

Burdar

My 73 has the knurled knob for what it's worth.

AAR#2

Quote from: Burdar on June 17, 2018, 03:53:17 PM
My 73 has the knurled knob for what it's worth.

73 parts book shows the same part number for the knob as 70-71.
Still tends to support the multiple source of supply theory, or that Chrysler changed a part and kept the same number.