Main Menu

70 Cuda door latch rods

Started by B5fourspeed, July 25, 2020, 04:43:12 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Jay Bee

I have no idea if that clip is reproduced. Actually I believe you can get away with not having the clip. The rod at that end has that extra 90 degree downward bend so once everything is installed it shouldn't fall out.

That picture I have showing the clip in the wrong position is the way it was when I took it out of the door. When that was on my car I never had an issue opening the door from the inside.

Jay Bee

Did a quick "Google" and look what I found, sure looks pretty close. However, the description doesn't say door pull, it says door lock and it says GM cars. BUT the link says "Plymouth Barracuda". I guess it's cheap enough to give it a shot.

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/all-years/plymouth/barracuda/parts/g6881.html

B5fourspeed

The rods that I have only have one 90 bend.When you buy the rod clip set they do not include the small plastic clip for the door lock rod and they do not give you the metal clips that we are talking about.You get the metal clips for the inside door pull but not the one that goes to the latch.They don't even give you enough of the plastic clips in the kit if you needed all of them.

Jay Bee

If the rod (called link w/sleeve in the parts book) that you have doesn't look like the one in my pictures then I'd say you have the wrong one. The one in my pictures are from an original 1970 Cuda passenger (right) side door.

B5fourspeed

Thank you for the link about the clip.I will get a couple of those.I bought the rods separate because the doors were bare.I think I have 71-74 door rods.At the time I did not know that the 70 was different.Thanks again for all the help.

Jay Bee

Sorry, I should have looked at the 71+ passenger door on my car. The rod is different, no downward 90 degree, it's straight which looks like with only one bend on the latch end and it's attached to the latch with a plastic clip. Almost sounds like you have a 70 latch (smaller hole) and like you said, a 71+ rod. We'll get this sorted out, lucky that I have both types of doors. Heading out now for coffee with some car friends.

PS, Those metal clips might not work without that 90 degree down. Just my thought.

Jay Bee

Here's some more reference pictures

Jay Bee

Thanks for starting this thread. I learned a lot about another 1970 only quirk and what's inside my doors.
Pictures of the actual clips in my doors.

HP_Cuda

1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

B5fourspeed

Is there a way that the door lock cylinders could be put in wrong.I got all the rods in the drivers door but when I try to lock or unlock the with the key the door lock rod on the latch pops out.It looks like the key cylinder is going the wrong way.Is there a left and a right.Thanks

anlauto

YES...the lever on the back of the cylinder could be in the wrong direction :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

B5fourspeed

The latches were restored.The door will open with door handle and the inside pull will work.The door will not lock.The key will not lock or open.I feel the rods are in the right slots.Any thoughts.I have 70 latches.

RJChallenger

On 70 only models the door must be closed when trying to lock / unlock the door with the key and or the inside lever. If the door is open, the locking mechanism part of the latch will not move. 1971-74 doors can be locked with the door open or closed. The 71-74 rods should work on the 70 only latch, if you use the metal retaining clip or enlarge the hole in the arm and use the plastic retaining clip. I don't believe you can install the outside door handle in the door if the lever on the end of the key lock cylinder is installed wrong. Hope this helps.

B5fourspeed

1 issue solved.The reason the locks would not work was because the secondary latch was not clicking.Now I am trying to adjust the striker and I am not having any luck getting the striker to release the secondary latch.Any thoughts on how to adjust the striker.Thanks

B5fourspeed

I got 1 door to close and lock now on to the other.