Main Menu

Rear View Mirror Restore

Started by Gary AAR, April 01, 2022, 08:15:22 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Gary AAR

Looking for some help on restoring my rear view mirror from my 70 Cuda.  My base and stem are a silver color that needs to be restored.  What were the original finishes on the base and stem (unfinished aluminum on the base and raw steel on the stem?, plated?, painted??).  The base appears to be a flat aluminum finish of some kind.   If paint is the correct finish, can anyone recommend a brand and color that would give the parts the correct appearing finish?
Thanks for the help.

Floyd

Painted originally (to the best of my knowledge).  This paint works well (gasp)😂

blown motor

I did mine with silver calliper paint because that's what I had on hand. Wasn't sure if it would be right but it came out really nice.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

anlauto

They were painted from the factory...I use dull aluminum on the base and stainless steel on the shaft :alan2cents: , but that's just me...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

FE5CUDA

Quote from: anlauto on April 01, 2022, 10:20:10 AM
They were painted from the factory...I use dull aluminum on the base and stainless steel on the shaft :alan2cents: , but that's just me...

Nope, wrong again, they were NOT painted, it's called valorous chrome on the original drawings.  It's the same chrome on the convertible top plates and latches and 70 ONLY ignition key bezel.  Valorous chrome is nothing more than "dirty nickel" which is dull before the clear chrome is applied.  You want it perfect?  Have your chrome guy lightly glass bead the nickel plating before he chromes it and you'll have perfect original.

anlauto

I just restored three of them last week, not one base was plated, every one had dull aluminum paint on them....I removed the paint with a wire
wheel...no plating under the paint either, so I'm not sure what "original drawing" you're referring to  :dunno:

Now the post is a different story....they could have been plated from the factory :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration