Main Menu

'74 Cuda Yorkshire Headliner - in White?

Started by moparroy, November 27, 2021, 05:09:22 PM

Previous topic Next topic

moparroy

Been doing a bunch of reading here and other places about headliners as I set my plan to order it for my '74.
My real question at this point is: does anyone know if / where I can get a Yorkshire headliner in white? Not necessarily my final decision but want to know if that is an option - also curious to know if anyone can confirm that would have been originally available in 1974 - I assume so...

Background:
Car was originally a white interior - per fender tags and per the white under the black paint on some of the interior trim that came with it.
At some point it was converted to black - again per the paint on interior trim pieces that were installed when I got it.
The interior was mostly out of the car when I got it - but headliner and its trim were still there
I did get an interior separately with the car - that is all black also.
I don't think I want an all white interior - as the wife says my hands are too grubby too often. :tool:
I might consider (and this should invoke some comments   :huh:) doing white above the belt line (white headliner and headliner trim) and black below. My 2010 Charger is like this OE and I kinda like it - besides headliners are more "permanent" than seats or door panels if I or someone else decides to go back to white later. Good for some conversation on the show field  :smile:.
But if I cannot get the original Yorkshire in white (Dante tells me black only) then ... maybe just go black vinyl...

Thanks

Burdar

Originals were white.  I have a picture somewhere of white Yorkshire material.  Originally your car would have had white seats, door panels, rear panels and headliner.  The dash, steering column, console(if equipped) carpet and package tray were black.

I'm not sure who Dante gets his Yorkshire headliners from.  He wouldn't tell me when I asked.  Before ordering my Yorkshire headliner from Dante, he sent me a sample of the material.  I also got a sample from SMS Auto Fabrics.  The sample from SMS was a direct match to the original.  The sample from Dante was close but it was thicker then original.  Once installed it looks very close to correct.  A high end OE car would need to order one from SMS to be exactly original.

The SMS headliner was a lot more expensive then Dante's.  Although Dante's wasn't cheap either.  I'd try SMS and see if they can get you one in white.  If not, I wonder what would happen if you tried to bleach a black one and turn it white.  If you get a sample of the material, you could try and bleach that piece to see how it works.  :dunno: 

moparroy

Thanks - SMS is a new name for me - will check it out.
I could try bleaching the one I took out of the car... but I suspect it is synthetic rather than cotton

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

moparroy

Soooo - final answer - I ordered the white Yorkshire from SMS today. Fortunately I am not in a hurry - so their lead time is fine - don't expect to install till March at the earliest I would say.
Yes costs more - but with the $$$$$ I have sunk in the car already it is one of the last major purchases I need to make so we'll swallow that.
Interesting between a phone call, an email and the quote with the sample in the snail mail, I got three different prices from them. The last one was the best and before that I was really starting to focus on alternatives. The last one was still more than I had originally thought I would go - but it was close so what the heck.
Now I just need to get some white interior paint from Herb's - I read that Alan says they are the best and yes their swatch color looks real close to the traces of white that are still there - mostly on the back side of the trim.
Thanks for your help with this.

moparroy

I picked up the second / replacement headliner this week. As indicated in my other thread there were issues with the first one received:
https://forum.e-bodies.org/interior/6/cuda-vs-challenger-headliner/24562/msg287538#msg287538
Looks good - pending installation.
I have to say the experience with SMS was not great. I was not in a hurry and still not at the point of installing the HL so the time is not a concern. It started out with being quoted 3 different prices so I might have known. They were prompt to address the product issue but handling of some of the details and logistics was lacking. In the end while I paid the lowest of the 3 prices - the total cost was closer to the higher. If you order something and need info be prepared to follow up - and more than once.
Good and unique products - but their after sales business processes are rusty, which contrasts with their pre-sales process which gave me more than I asked for.