Main Menu

Cuda vs Challenger Headliner

Started by moparroy, March 01, 2022, 09:44:12 AM

Previous topic Next topic

moparroy

Is the Challenger headliner longer than the Cuda? Picked up my headliner yesterday and layed it on the one I removed years back - the bow pockets do not line up at all. Wondering if they sent me a Challenger pattern.

anlauto

The white one on top is a Challenger one, you can tell by the way the rear rod loop angles down the sides. Cuda's use separate sail panels, Challengers do not...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

moparroy

Yes the white one is the new one - the black one is the one I removed. Actually there were no separate sail panels in it either - though I could not swear if that was original for '74. I thought the separate sail panels were an early 'Cuda thing? like '70, '71?
But you are right on the rear bow loop / pocket - the original one goes more straight out as per the pic - and the C-Pillar covering is seen to the right of it - and it hooks into gripper teeth around the top of the rear inner panel I believe

anlauto

Quote from: moparroy on March 01, 2022, 12:39:59 PM
Yes the white one is the new one - the black one is the one I removed. Actually there were no separate sail panels in it either - though I could not swear if that was original for '74. I thought the separate sail panels were an early 'Cuda thing? like '70, '71?
But you are right on the rear bow loop / pocket - the original one goes more straight out as per the pic - and the C-Pillar covering is seen to the right of it - and it hooks into gripper teeth around the top of the rear inner panel I believe

You're likely 100% correct on the later Cuda's not having separate sail panels....my brain is stuck in 70-71, but now that you mention it... :headbang:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

tedsweet

moparroy

Interesting - yorkshire cloth original?

moparroy

This sail panel question gets more interesting ...
I found this thread in the archives here: https://forum.e-bodies.org/interior/6/73-cuda-sail-panels-who-makes-the-best/1283/
Its a '73 but if they are also Yorkshire I would have expected to be the same for '74 - and Greg is positive his is original. Glad someone has better luck with interior stuff than I seem to - both carpet and headliner had to be returned :(. Good thing I am not in a hurry.
I know mine is not original due to color change at some point from white to black - white originally per fender tag and some interior trim was painted black over original white plastic and steel.
I also found a few '74 for sale ads from other site archives - some that clearly show sail panels also - but some of those also clearly show perforated vinyl headliners and in one case appears to have a 5 bow headliner. So who knows on those cars.
One thing that I cannot figure - if there was sail panels then why is there a tack strip / gripper teeth at the bottom under the edge of the inner quarter panel trim line?
I'm going to do mine without sail panels - I think it looks better - and the rest of the car is not spot on original anyway.
I did test fit the old black headliner back in the car today just to make sure it was good to use as a template. Bow pockets are definitely in the right spot and it would fit but it is fragile and started coming apart a bit when I went to tension it. I'll be sending it to SMS to use as a template for a replacement.