Main Menu

ABS Dash Burnt Oarnge

Started by Mopar5, August 20, 2020, 09:25:17 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Mopar5

Hello looking for some advice here. I just un boxed a ABS dash pad I ordered. I know you get what you pay for and I am not expecting perfection. My concerns are I can tell this pad was painted and the color is not in the vinyl, also if you look at the pictures you can see a small bubble at the defrost area,the wrapping at the AC vents looks a little funky,also the molded stitching looks like it was sprayed unevenly showing a little black through the orange color. Am I asking to much or should I send it back? Thanks In advance I will post some pics from my phone. I forgot to mention I paid $650.00 for it.

Mopar5

Here are a few

Mopar5

Mopar5

anlauto

Of course they are painted....how else would they get the different colours today. They are not going to have a vinyl that matches each colour for the extremely limit amount they would sell :alan2cents:

Yes AC vents will fit okay, I just did one last week and it looked the same.

I would say the issue in the vent and with the stitching, is being a little picky, but you're the one that has to be happy. Send it back if you're not happy. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

headejm

:alan2cents: The stitching looks like crap. Not sure I could stand to look at that. The other stuff I could probably live with. I've heard of a lot of problems with the ABS pads compared to the steel pads. Have you tried to check how it fits?

YellowThumper

I agree with the fitment test first with all items installed.
Second is yes. They all will be painted. As Alan noted, the colors are not off the shelf items any longer.

As for the non fill or too light areas. And knowing it is already painted. I would consider painting it again to ensure the coverage you would be happy with.

Not a favorable option. But I would surmise any replacements would have similar issues.

Fit over cosmetics would be paramount for me.
As these are the low cost (comparatively) options. I would think of it like replacement body panels. They get you close but require work to hit the end goal.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

anlauto

Quote from: headejm on August 20, 2020, 10:15:06 AM
:alan2cents: The stitching looks like crap. Not sure I could stand to look at that. The other stuff I could probably live with. I've heard of a lot of problems with the ABS pads compared to the steel pads. Have you tried to check how it fits?

I think he meant ABC manufactured dash pads, not an ABS plastic core pad.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Mopar5

Yes I did mean it is an ABS core

anlauto

Where did you buy it ? I didn't know the ABS plastic core pads were even still being made ?  Yours looks pretty good. :bigthumb:

I thought you meant you bought it from this place ABC https://abcmoparts.com/

Burdar

FOR $650 YOU HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO BE PICKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :verymad:  And yes, I used all caps for a reason.

Katfish

I'm guessing that's from the guy in Texas, goes by many names and it's a crap shoot on quality.
I went through 3 dashes before getting 1 that was semi decent.
Send it back

Mopar5

Quote from: headejm on August 20, 2020, 10:15:06 AM
Stitching was the first thing that caught my eye.

Mopar5

Quote from: anlauto on August 20, 2020, 12:36:58 PM
Where did you buy it ? I didn't know the ABS plastic core pads were even still being made ?  Yours looks pretty good. :bigthumb:

I thought you meant you bought it from this place ABC https://abcmoparts.com/
Classic Industries.

Mopar5

I see this as a problem the original metal dashhas 3 u clips under the lip of dash for the light bar.The new one has no clips or any thing other than foam to screw into. I don't think I could find any type of fastener that would work there if I tried