Main Menu

AC heater box without AC.

Started by Mårten Lindberg, November 25, 2017, 12:58:45 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Mårten Lindberg

I have a AC heater box and controls in my car but I do not have the AC compressor and parts for the engine.
Is there some way to get the AC heater box to work like an ordinary heater box?
Today it seams like there is something blocking the air, it will not blow air in all the outlets.
Is it possible to get an AC box to work well without the actual AC compressor?

Cuda Cody

Did it work before and blow air out the vents?  And now it's not?

Mårten Lindberg

Quote from: Cuda Cody on November 25, 2017, 08:19:48 AM
Did it work before and blow air out the vents?  And now it's not?

I do not know this, it was like this when I bought the car.
It only blows a little on the windshield, not anywhere else.
It does not matter how I position the controls.  :notsure:

anlauto

Having no underhood AC parts will not affect the heater or blower system from working. You would need to have the heater hoses hooked up with the correct operating heater control valve and a good vacuum source for the AC box. Then if your blower motor works, then it should function fine. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mårten Lindberg

Quote from: anlauto on November 25, 2017, 08:52:19 AM
Having no underhood AC parts will not affect the heater or blower system from working. You would need to have the heater hoses hooked up with the correct operating heater control valve and a good vacuum source for the AC box. Then if your blower motor works, then it should function fine. :alan2cents:

Is there some documentation about how this should be connected, I have searched but not found any?
I think the vacuum source hose is missing on my car, were is it usually connected?

Cuda Cody

Mårten Lindberg

Quote from: Cuda Cody on November 25, 2017, 09:35:10 AM
Here's some AC TSB's that might help.    :notsure:

https://www.e-bodies.org/resources/cuda_challenger_tsb_specifications_engineering_illustrations_drawings/

Scroll down the AC section in the TSB.  There's also info in the manuals.

https://www.e-bodies.org/resources/service-manuals-parts-catalogs-tsb/

Thanks for your help, I will look into those.  :bradsthumb:
But I think the problem is the vacuum hose, because I have not seen any hose going from
the heater unit to the engine.

anlauto

In the engine compartment on the passenger side there is a rubber grommet under the blower motor. It should have a small vacuum hose coming out of it. That hose connects to a fitting on the back of the intake manifold, usually a multiport one also used for the power brakes :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Rich G.

Doesn't matter if it a/c or not where it blows out is controlled by the vacuum switch and the pods on the box. You can get a hand vacuum pump and test the pods to see if they work and close the doors. Then you'll no if the problem is in the switch or the diaphragms. Or the hoses are on the wrong spot.

1 Wild R/T

The fact all air is directed to the defrost vents is a clear indicator there's no vacuum.... It's designed so if anything fails the priority airflow is defrost for safety.... Fixed dozens of them every year back when they were daily drivers...  As the OP has already surmised & Alan has pointed him in the right direction...Vacuum hose low on the R firewall connects to a nipple at the rear of the intake...

dougdel

are those multi port nipples available anywhere.   id much rather hook my hose up there than on the multi port plug on my brake booster.   just a cleaner look imo

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: dougdel on December 04, 2017, 02:02:51 PM
are those multi port nipples available anywhere.   id much rather hook my hose up there than on the multi port plug on my brake booster.   just a cleaner look imo

I've always grab them of Mopar's at the wrecking yard...