Main Menu

AC heater water shut off valve to cable connection

Started by JH27N0B, May 18, 2018, 07:41:04 PM

Previous topic Next topic

JH27N0B

My dash pad finally arrived, so the guy I've had working on my car picked it up to finish installing and charging the AC.  He got a new dash to heater water control valve cable, but now finds he doesn't know how it attaches.  The valve is an NOS one I got with the car when I bought it 20 years ago. I'm wondering if anyone has any info on how the cable attaches to the valve?

headejm

JH27N0B

Thanks for the picture.  Unfortunately I'm going by what he told me and haven't been able to put eyes on it.  But from what he described, there is a curved bracket or clip that is missing from my water valve. That seems to be what I'm seeing in the picture, that there is a loop in the end of the cable, and it's retained by a tubular clip.  So that tubular clip must not be present on my valve.

blown motor

How quickly do you need one? There's a long shot chance I can track one down but I won't get time for a bit.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

JH27N0B

My car is in his shop now for just minor finish up type work, installing my new dash and charging and testing the AC etc.  I expect he will finish up pretty quickly and bring the car back here in a matter of days.  If need be and the part can't quickly be sourced, the cable can be left unattached and I can install the clip a few weeks down the line. Let me know if you find one, thanks!

71vert340

That clip on the water valve looks just like the clip on my 74 Charger non-a/c heater cables for adjustment. Take a look at these two pics. I'm moving them to re-install my heater cables for proper door openings in the heater box. A pain to do.
Terry

1 Wild R/T

And now the truth.. The barrel clips are notorious for slipping & letting the cable move without the valve moving..... If you want it to" look correct" you've gotta have it but if you want it to work correct I'd suggest a different method....

But then the OE red/blk valves are in the same category.....

JH27N0B

I just talked to him and he says that clip looks the same or very similar to the one missing.  But he also told me the clip that holds the plastic covered part of the cable to the flat surface of the bracket is missing also.  So I'm missing 2 clips.  :headbang:
Thanks for the pictures, now I know what's missing and just need to find them.  He's probably going to tie the valve closed and I can finish that task when I find the 2 clips.

1 Wild R/T

They are/were both available from Tom @ R/T Specialties..

JH27N0B

I know you've mentioned in the past those valves are notorious with going bad quickly.  I think you said you gave up on them on your car after several failing after short times, and went with an aftermarket one instead.
I have had this valve sitting on the shelf for as long as I've owned the car, so I figured I'd try it out and see what happens.  Going forward it's all new to me, I've never had AC, or for that matter, working heat, in this car for the last 21 years!  I've had occasion to wish I had heat, as for AC, I will see if I actually ever use it.  My general rule has been, when the car comes out of the garage, the top goes down!  :driving:

1 Wild R/T

Oh absolutely! Only bad thing about the valve is if it lets go & your engine overheats because of it.... I totally understand trying to make the car look OE as possible... BTDT....  These days I'm more interested in a reliable driver....

FWIW around here even when the top is down the A/C blowing a cool breeze in your face when it's 100 degrees is kinda nice....  Or when its in the 50's warm air around your feet even though the top is down still feels nice....

71vert340

Here's a picture of the two styles of the cable sheath clips. The one on the right is one I got from R/T Specialties. The one on the left is an original. It could be r/T Specialties also has the one on the left but I couldn't find them at the time. Someone else may have better luck. Be careful of the shipping charges. The website really loads the shipping charges up even for small items so we called and R/T Specialties sent the clips in an envelope for much less.
Terry