Main Menu

AC louver fix or replacement

Started by 440SE, Today at 12:58:49 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Yellow71Cuda and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

440SE

Has anyone found replacement AC vents, either from another car model or aftermarket, that don't have the air control rod and will fit in the factory vent housing for the center and passenger side vents?  Or, is there a way to tighten up the vent blades and air control flap so they will stay open when air is flowing through? Mine get blown shut when I turn the fan on and I have been using foam ear plugs stuck in between the blades to keep them open, and a piece of tape on the flap rod to keep the air flowing.  The vents are not broken, they are just too loose.

I want to get away from stuffing things in the louvers or using tape to make the AC functional.

EV2RTSE

71-74 B-Bodies use the same vents as 71-74 E's but that's about it as far as I know. The 70 E's have the wider chrome band and slightly different blades than the others but the 71-74s would fit and work fine in your original housings. But if yours aren't broken and just loose, you're well ahead of the game. I have repaired broken ones before following this excellent link. The same method would work to tighten yours up.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=86578.0

440SE

Wow, I am not talented enough for that, but thanks for sharing.