Main Menu

Any advise on installing new seat covers?

Started by Jocigar, January 29, 2021, 01:29:01 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Jocigar

thanks for the pictures, I wish I had those results.

Maybe I should not have tried to stretched the piping over the edge of the corners.  your piping looks like it sits inside of the back corners.   

I wonder if covers could have been made differently since I did reach all the securing points.

DeathProofCuda

Quote from: Jocigar on November 19, 2021, 11:23:26 AM
thanks for the pictures, I wish I had those results.

Maybe I should not have tried to stretched the piping over the edge of the corners.  your piping looks like it sits inside of the back corners.   

I wonder if covers could have been made differently since I did reach all the securing points.

Can you post a pic showing yours from the bottom (similar to my third pic)?

Jocigar

Few more pics.   Maybe material was cut differently, not wide enough center flap.

I only pulled one side flap tight so far.      Thanks

DeathProofCuda

Based on all the wrinkles in your photos, I think your problem is not enough stretch, instead of the material being cut differently.

You can really get these covers to stretch quite a bit when you heat them up.  The problem with using a hair dryer or heat gun is that you can't heat up the whole thing and keep it hot enough to really be effective.  If it was me, up here in the dark and damp PNW, I'd put that project aside until a sunny day in June or July.  If you don't have that kind of time or patience, maybe try setting them up in front of a fireplace or wood stove until they are almost too hot to touch.  You should be able to work all those wrinkles out in the front corners and get the rear corners to close up tighter.  It may take a few cycles of heating and then stretching to get the results you want. 

DeathProofCuda

If you compare these two photos you can see that on mine the cover is pulled up much higher on the back corners of the seat frame.  Also, along the bottom edge my cover has been pulled tight enough to roll over the edge of the frame that it is hog-ringed to.

DeathProofCuda

Pic of a factory original 70 Cuda seat bottom for comparison.