Main Menu

carpet install??

Started by Shoooter, April 22, 2018, 09:23:10 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Shoooter

How hard is it to install the carpet on a ebody? I've never done carpet before and was wondering if it is something I should tackle or pay the 200 bucks and have it done? any suggestions or videos?

RUNCHARGER

It's pretty easy. I would never consider paying someone else to do it. Just be patient and make sure it is conforming to the floor shape properly. They are oversize and I tend to sneak up on the trimming rather than do one cut. If you have a 4 speed hump I find it easier to place the front carpet in the correct spot. Console brackets are in the way but you just have to be careful fitting around them is all.
Sheldon

JH27N0B

Lots of trimming involved so wear gloves when doing it or you'll end up with blistered fingers (DAMHIK)!
Also, use a wood burning tool or soldering iron to burn the holes through where the seat studs etc go, this is much easier than trying to cut those holes.

CudaMoparRay

As stated above it is pretty easy just take your time and measure and cut carefully.
I did my first ever one, fairly quickly.
Check out this video, it is helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHc5DaLD0Nk

440WB

Quote from: Shoooter on April 22, 2018, 09:23:10 PM
How hard is it to install the carpet on a ebody? I've never done carpet before and was wondering if it is something I should tackle or pay the 200 bucks and have it done? any suggestions or videos?

A couple questions would be...
not so much the funds to pay -

1)do you have the time or would you want to get involved removing your seats, kick panels, rocker trim, center council, seat belts & retractors.

2)What is the time frame this person would need to get it done for you?

3)How trustworthy is the person? Had a friend who took his car in for carpet, they scratched and snagged his new seats - torn his kick panels, stripped out the bolts for the seat belts. Cut his radio speaker wires off. Never did they install the heat mat.
( just saying - this was a few years ago... just was a rare thing to happen bad experience )

Most carpet kits I used were a decent fit. I would open them to keep layed out on the floor in my home for a day to remove any crease's or folds -

The holes for your front seats I just used a punch awe to push down thru for location cutting small square after.
A razor knife for the seat belt bolts, seat hooks in the rear and to trim at the rocker trim panels, also at your kick panels ( sometimes its hard to fit them over the floor pan edge seam with extra carpet )

You may want to consider to cover your floor with a stick on mat for sound and heat protection. You also will get the chance to see how good your floor is. To sand, repair and re- paint if needed. :alan2cents:

303 Mopar

Unless you really trust the person or have had a previous experience with them, I would just do it myself. I've done two cars and it is not my favorite thing but can be done with patience. Order the ACC carpet from @MoparDave, get it in the sun for a while, install sound deadener (I like FatMat), and measure carefully.  After you lay it in the car, you will have more than enough carpet but make sure it extends up to the steering column first.  Once you get the holes punched for the seats and seat belts, install them as they will hold the carpet down for you so it doesn't move around. Then you can cut the sides for the sill plates and kick panels.  Remember to trim carefully and you can always cut more but not add to it.

440WB

here's a pic   

72 Challenger

If the installer is known to be excellent $200 dollars is a STEAL.

However, at that price, I don't feel like your getting the best of the best.

I re-installed the original one in my car, it was fairly easy.
Someday I will have a J0b.

HP_Cuda

Its not that hard just tedious. You first need to lay the carpet out in the sun for about a day to let it relax so it can get to the shape you want. Then just slowly make cuts and remember take smaller cuts if you are uncertain because you cannot put carpet back after the fact. One area which folks screw up is under the dash area so take more time there. If you have a 4 speed take more time around the hump because if you butcher it here it will show.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Dakota

Marking for future reference.   :popcorn:

Sleepychallenger

Quote from: Shoooter on April 22, 2018, 09:23:10 PM
Wasn't bad at all. Measure twice, cut once. Cut long. Easier to trim than to glue it back on. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Shoooter

I trust the guy. he did my headliner and it is perfect. He owns his own upholstery shop and it good friends of a mutual friend.  My seats are already out of the car and the floor is sound has sound deadener on it. I'm ready for install. The carpet I have doesn't look to be performed to well. I have had it sitting out in the car . I don't have sear belts yet so I will just have to bolt it down.

when doing the carpet do you glue it down at all?  or does it just sit in the car . what's the best way to mold it? I have the time to do it myself but this guy does great work. I'll watch the video and maybe give it a try

Shoooter

also how far under the back seat do you go? is the front or rear installed first? It is a auto car so do I just go over the mounting plate or cut it out? in the video he uses some window ribbon sealer. does this work? how far past the door sills and kick panel do you go? also do you past the steering coloum mount? Thanks everyone

RUNCHARGER

The rear goes in first. They are usually pretty long, you can trim the length of it under the rear seat but there is no harm in leaving it long there. You have to be a bit careful trimming the sides, I have screwed up on the rear before and cut too much off the sides, basically you have to make sure the bottom is fully kicked in to the edges. If it isn't "kicked in" fully it is easy to cut too much off. I don't trim the sills until last. I have the seats in, seat belts in and even the kick panels in before I cut the sills.You can only overlap the pinch weld on the sills by a bit, otherwise the sill plates won't seat properly. You can sneak up on this trimming and you'll see it isn't a big deal but you just have to be careful.
Don't cut the front for the console brackets until you are really sure it is right. The front is pretty big but you'll get it in there. Line the molding of the carpet up with the ridges in the floor and when you think you have it make sure the back of the front carpet goes across the floor squarely. Then you want to make sure the hump  fits correctly at the front, only when you are sure of all this can you cut out for the console brackets. Double check again and if you have to lengthen the holes where the console brackets are you can, just make sure the console will cover the larger hole. I forget on the front now but you want it to climb up the firewall as much as you can. If memory serves it goes up flush with heater box at the firewall.
You can use a utility knife to trim with but it is hard to control, generally I use the utility knife and a good set of tin snips for trimming.
Also take note of where the heelpad is on 440WB's photo, that is the correct spot for it, when the heelpad is in that position you will find the ridge molded into the rear 10 inches of the front carpet will be laying in the ridge in the floorboard as well.
Sheldon

Shoooter

so the front and rear should over lap 10" ? no adhesive needed?