Main Menu

carpet install??

Started by Shoooter, April 22, 2018, 09:23:10 PM

Previous topic Next topic

303 Mopar

Quote from: Shoooter on April 24, 2018, 11:00:04 PM
so the front and rear should over lap 10" ? no adhesive needed?

I would say approx 10". The point is there is plenty of front carpet to overlay the rear, and you need to make sure the front is pulled up high on the firewall (usually hits the column) and the heel pad is right place. These are the guides you can use to make sure the front is in the right place. The rear will have "molded-type" sections that fit in the footwells. It usually becomes obvious once you get it in the car.

Correct no adhesive is required, unless you want to use a little to hold down the carpet as it has a tendency to shift while you are working on it.  Once you get it in position and install the seatbelts then the front seats, that will hold the carpet in place.

Shoooter

Quote from: 303 Mopar on April 25, 2018, 06:08:52 AM
Quote from: Shoooter on April 24, 2018, 11:00:04 PM
so the front and rear should over lap 10" ? no adhesive needed?

I would say approx 10". The point is there is plenty of front carpet to overlay the rear, and you need to make sure the front is pulled up high on the firewall (usually hits the column) and the heel pad is right place. These are the guides you can use to make sure the front is in the right place. The rear will have "molded-type" sections that fit in the footwells. It usually becomes obvious once you get it in the car.

Correct no adhesive is required, unless you want to use a little to hold down the carpet as it has a tendency to shift while you are working on it.  Once you get it in position and install the seatbelts then the front seats, that will hold the carpet in place.

I think I will use just alittle adhesive as I don't have sear belts to install yet just the bolts. it should meet them where they need to be. I will try to do the install this weekend if the weather is nice enough to warm the carpet outside

Shoooter

how far under the rear side panel do you go? do you remove the contoured bracket on the floor?

HP_Cuda

You mean the sill plates or the rear interior quarter panel?
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Shoooter

the rear quarter . I guess I should have been more specific. I fitted my panel and got it figured out

303 Mopar

Here is a good article on carpet installation from Mopar Connection.  Not an e-body but its generally the same process.

http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/gallery-installing-new-mopar-carpet-from-classic-industries/