Main Menu

Center AC Vent Removal and Replacement

Started by challengermaniac, February 17, 2019, 05:58:53 PM

Previous topic Next topic

challengermaniac

Hey everyone,

Regarding the Center AC Vents on my 70 Challenger......

I'm thinking the only way to install replacement Center AC Vents is by removing the Vent Housing and to do that, the Dash Cap will need to come off........ CORRECT?

Once the Center Vent Housing has been removed, it's fairly clear the Vents then go in via the center section first and then the push pin side last.  It's interesting that the center vents are identical, which means their orientation from left to right is the same and thus, making the fitment odd.  Similar to putting a left outside mirror on both sides of the car, although certainly not as drastic!  I can deal with this as long as it's correct! 
1970 Challenger Convertible EB5

blown motor

I don't recall for sure if you can access those without removing the dash pad. I don't thinks so but it's been a few years.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Katfish

AC vents are held down by Philips screws that go through the dash pad frame.
So yes, dash pad needs to come off.

JunkYardFind

Got my glue on dash cap test fitted and noticed the AC vents really stand out in a bad way! They need to pulled painted or better yet replaced.

The big question.... is there a way to remove these with the dash pad on? Maybe some pics from when a dash was out if anyone has them would be great.

www.JunkYardFind.com What's In YOUR Garage ?

JunkYardFind

Think I found my own answer! Look like 2 screws on each side of the vent.
Possibly reachable, dunno, I think I can, I think I can! Positive vibes man!

1 Wild R/T

JunkYardFind

NOPE :/ No dice on getting these screws out without taking the dash out! I can get at one but the other ones are just WAY too hidden away in a VERY tight spot. I will get them if I ever decide to replace the dash pad.

Anyway, on to plan B and pressing the easy button. I am painting the vents while still on the dash. Over-spray wont matter as the cover is going on.

HP2

Took mine out without removal of the dash or the pad. Was it easy, nope, not in the slightest.  But it is possible.  Also required extensive trimming of cap around the outlets to get them to sit flush and in place later. 

JunkYardFind

MUCH respect! I just fought tooth n nail with another piece of the trim (directly below/around the radio delete) 6 screws that were all very difficult. Just wasn't in the mood to deal with this problem.

What kind of screwdriver did you use to get them out? There was just place for me to get at it.

HP2

Stubby phillips moving at about a quarter turn per twist. Putting them back in is no more pleasant either and is actually a bit more frustrating initially trying to get that first bite with the screw.

I hear you on the radio surrounds. My original was pretty shattered. When I got a new one, I was surprised at all the screws that went into it. Some of those were a bit of a challenge getting them in as well.