Main Menu

AC dash vent removal help

Started by nsmall, March 30, 2017, 10:08:59 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

Hey folks.... is it possible to remove AC dash vents while the dash is installed in the car?  If yes, any tips as I know the vents aren't cheap to replace.  Thanks

Cuda Cody

I feel so helpless with all these AC questions.   :sorry:  I have no clue when it comes to AC.   Why not just wait until you remove the dash?

71GranCoupe

Quote from: nsmall on March 30, 2017, 10:08:59 PM
Hey folks.... is it possible to remove AC dash vents while the dash is installed in the car?  If yes, any tips as I know the vents aren't cheap to replace.  Thanks

Definitely easier after the dash is out, but possible by feel/braille method. The glove box liner and the ash tray will need to come out. It has been sometime since I have taken one out or reinstalled, but the heater box/duct may have to removed as well. 

If you are not needing 100% original ones for a 70, there are many out there from a 71 Satellite and fit right in, just a little different, but only originals needed for a full point car.  :alan2cents: The ones from the B-Body can be found for around $50 on  :ebay: quite often.

nsmall

I was just trying to bring them down to a swap meet as I'm buying a new Dash and wanted to test fit them

I've been told UR dashes are not the best at fitting AC vents so I thought it try to find the best pad.

Thanks

1 Wild R/T

The bigger concern is how it fits on the sides where it transitions to trim on the drivers side & metal on the passenger side... The a/c vents you can trim away foam & usually get them to sit pretty flush...