Main Menu

Challenger door panel chrome inserts

Started by manycj, May 30, 2017, 09:38:58 AM

Previous topic Next topic

manycj

Am I correct to assume that theChallenger chrome door panel inserts are not being reproduced ?  Mine are pitted and it looks like my options are rechrome the originals or locate some nice used ones.

Chris
<I>If I can't fix it, I'll fix it so no onw can!"</I>

Cuda Cody

I have not seen any reproduction yet.

EV2RTSE

No reproductions that I know of either, best bet IMO is to find a good used set of originals. If you rechrome yours chances are the pits will still show unless you fill them in first, the underlying metal is pot metal which is hard to work with. There are some shops that will repair pits in pot metal before replating, but repairing the pits is expensive.

RUNCHARGER

Repairing pits is possible but generally you lose definition in the part. I had some parts done for a 64 Polara 500 a few years ago and that's what I found.
Sheldon

manycj

Thanks guys, it's what I thought.  I had some potmetal parts rechromed for a different project at Paul's Chrome, which had lots of pitting, but had no choice. Pretty expensive repair. Guys I'll start shopping......

<I>If I can't fix it, I'll fix it so no onw can!"</I>

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration