Main Menu

Door Panel Woodgrain Inserts

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, August 11, 2019, 08:30:19 AM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

My RT originally came with no woodgrain inserts but those panels were not reusable so I'm installing a set of really cherry panels off an SE. not correct I know but they are free and they look nicer anyway.

I was given a set of woodgrain inserts that are not SE and I was considering switching them out since they would probably look more correct. I was wondering though if they are later year or some certain sub model. Anyone tell me more about these other inserts before I slap them on?

6bblgt

approximate dates for 1970 Challenger door panels:

BLANK - no wood-grain & no carpet/reflectors - ALL non-SEs without leather or cloth/vinyl interiors prior to mid-November 1969 (JH23, JH27, JS23, JS27 with H6??)
replaced by
"FRATZOG" emblem & wood-grain with no carpet/reflectors - ALL non-SEs without leather or cloth/vinyl interiors after mid-November 1969 (JH23, JH27, JS23, JS27 with H6??)

"Special Edition" emblem & wood-grain with carpet/reflectors - ALL SEs & R/T SEs (JH29, JS29) all year

"FRATZOG" emblem & wood-grain with carpet/reflectors - ALL non-SEs with leather or cloth/vinyl interiors (JH23, JH27, JS23, JS27 with H5?? or HR??) all year

BLANK - no wood-grain & no carpet/reflectors - returned in the spring of '70 for the Challenger "DEPUTY" coupe ONLY (JH23 with A93 & L6??)

70 Challenger Lover

I knew the center console had a darker color for 71 and later. I guess it makes sense it would also be found in other areas. My plan all along was to replace the SE panels with anything that looked nice and sell the SE ones. I was just curious what the other ones were used for.