Main Menu

Dark Blue Interior?

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, November 12, 2021, 05:16:05 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

Was dark blue ever an option in the e bodies? I came across a dark blue speaker grille and was trying to place what year it might have been used. Definitely not the b5 blue. It looks like b7 but I don't recall that ever being an option.

Tried looking at the resources tab but very little loads up.

Bullitt-

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

EV2RTSE

Looks like in 1974 there was a B6 blue interior? While 70-73 were B5.
https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/colorAndTrim/1974/74_Challenger0003.jpg

cuda hunter

C bodies have B7 interiors. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

70 Challenger Lover

C_B5

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on November 12, 2021, 05:16:05 PM
Was dark blue ever an option in the e bodies? I came across a dark blue speaker grille and was trying to place what year it might have been used. Definitely not the b5 blue. It looks like b7 but I don't recall that ever being an option.

Tried looking at the resources tab but very little loads up.

For the interior plastic parts to the best of my knowledge, B5 was the only blue option code available on e-bodies. The color of vinyl seat covers are different from year to year.

As for the speaker grille you located being "darker blue", from my experience that is the result of one of the following:
• exposure to elements / sunlight causes color to change / darken
• "run to run" and "year to year" production variances when injection molding the interior parts. There is no way to know what color standard was provided to the supplier & what quality controls required.
• contrary to how many cars are restored, the interior plastic parts did NOT match exactly for color. It's not uncommon for the shade to be off from one part to another.

All of this is based on observations from many years of buy / sell / trade specifically blue interior
e-body parts. Including NOS interior blue parts.
In my opinion, if the speaker cover is in good condition use it as is even with the different shade of blue.

C_B5

Quote from: EV2RTSE on November 12, 2021, 09:13:08 PM
Looks like in 1974 there was a B6 blue interior? While 70-73 were B5.
https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/colorAndTrim/1974/74_Challenger0003.jpg

Yes, there's a B6 blue interior code for the 1974 models. However, it's still a "medium blue", it's not a "dark blue". The B5 code is also a "medium blue".

Again from experience based on a 1974 challenger I owned that was white with a blue interior the "plastic" blue parts were similar color as other B5 blue parts. The vinyl on the seats was a different shade / color.

anlauto

I had a blue interior 70 Challenger back in the day and picked up another one for parts....the colouring of the plastic parts was all over the map, some really dark, others lighter  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

FE5CUDA

Quote from: anlauto on November 15, 2021, 07:16:56 AM
I had a blue interior 70 Challenger back in the day and picked up another one for parts....the colouring of the plastic parts was all over the map, some really dark, others lighter  :dunno:

The only deviation in color on any interior color, other that black, was the different materials, plastic to vinyl or colored painted parts like the dash frame and steering column.  Plastic parts ALWAYS matched in color when the car was built new.  You could have different variation of color only between the different materials of that color on an interior.  Be carful what you hear and where that information comes from.